Will my i7 860 recognize 6 gb of ram?

bennyboy181

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I have 6gb of ram currently installed on ASUS p7p55d pro and bios only shows 4gb installed. Is it because of the i7-860, the ram is Corsair XMS3 6gb tri-channel.

I7-860 has nothing to do with it. Check your motherboard carefully, to be certain that your sticks are in the proper slots. Where you put the ram is important, and not obvious on Asus motherboards.

You mught use memtest86+ to check out each stick individually to be certain that you do not have a bad stick.

popatim

Titan
Your motherboard doesnt support triple channel memory. I'm not sure what happens in this case. Undoubtedly your memory would not be on the supported memory listing.

Have you upgraded the bios? There have been at least 1 update for memory issues.

What happens if you turn off dual channel in the bios?

I have a Asus P6T X58 motherboard with 6 slots and 3 channels. In my manual, it says that due to Intel spec definition, XMP DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only. Your P55 motherboard has only two channels. Is your ram 1600? and, does your motherboard manual have the same caveat?

Dual channel is set by the bios if you have two sticks of ram, one in each channel. The extra stick will operate in single channel mode.

I think it means that if you use the default XMP definition to get 1600 speed, you can only run two sticks. You could try setting the speed in the bios explicitly to less, like 1333 or 1066. Your performance will not suffer to any noticeable extent on a i7 cpu.

Ram is not explicitly 2 or three channel. It is sold in kits of two or three dimms to be used in two or three channel motherboards. If you have an odd extra dimm, that should be OK, it will just run in single channel mode. The extra ram is more beneficial than a couple of percent processor power.