casey10

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
I'm going to buy a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130561&Tpk=MSI%20880%20gm%20p51, and I was wondering if I bought 1600 Ram (Ripjaws are on sale) if it will work because the motherboard say's 1600 (O.C) so will it default to 1333 or not post at all?

Solution
Theoretically, yes, that RAM should work. G.Skill is god quality, I have a set of their RAM for my system. Even if the mobo supported at max 1333 MHz, you could still use RAM that is rated for 1600 MHz, you just couldn't use it at that frequency.
G.Skill is a very highly reputable RAM manufacturer, and very seldom do I read about defective products or incompataibility issues. Still, you should also understand that each mobo has a QVL, which includes all the makes/models of RAM that was proven successful.

In regards to the the concern of 1600 vs 1333. 1600 MHz is an O.C. setting; however, if you don't specify what frequency-or other RAM settings, for that matter - to use, the mobo/BIOS will fluctuate the frequency- it will rise when the processing power is needed; decline when the workload intensity lowers. This is a power saving feature.

casey10

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

So the 1600 Ram should be able to work in the 1333 board, and I havent got the board yet, from what I read it sets the ram to 1333 and you go in bios and manually set it to 1600..

Theoretically, yes, that RAM should work. G.Skill is god quality, I have a set of their RAM for my system. Even if the mobo supported at max 1333 MHz, you could still use RAM that is rated for 1600 MHz, you just couldn't use it at that frequency.

Solution
Don't waste your time looking for anything that cheap, as it would likely perform just the same as the stock fan. If you want to go aftermarket (which should be done if you're going to OC the CPU), get a good one. like the Hyper 212+ or Titan Fenrir. What separates these types of CPU coolers from their stock counterparts, is that the aftermarket coolers use copper pipes along with a bigger heatsink to draw the heat away from the CPU faster. On top of that, the aftermarket coolers have larger diameter fans to pull more heat off of the heatsink.

Checkout www.frozencpu.com or www.newegg.com for CPU coolers.