Advice/Opinions with Gaming PC (1st Build)

keiichi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week.

BUDGET RANGE: $2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, HD streaming video, some video conversion from dv camera.

I've been using a 4 year old laptop that really can't handle games anymore these days. I have been looking at possibly purchasing the Asus g73, but here in Poland that will run me about $2300 with English Windows 7. I also looked at this Prebuilt i5 5870 PC from a chain of stores here that is similar to what I am looking for. However with this I would also have to buy an extra version of English windows costing me about $230.

I plan to play more simulation/strategy games, like the new Civ V, Total War, Football Manager, etc., but I will also try out any new games that would look interesting. So I would like the computer to be able to handle whatever I throw at it.

I plan to probably have this computer for a year, maybe 2 max. I will most likely be moving back to the states after that time. So resell value, if any, would also be important.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Need everything.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://emarket.pl (site is in Polish, but google translator works for the most part.) If you find a part on newegg I can also just look for the same one on the site.

I would like to only purchase from one site as shipping would add up if I bought components from a collection of sites. Polish sites vary, this one looks to be a good one. They also include their actual inventory numbers, which is important in this country.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Poland

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm not really partial to any brand, however I would like to keep the GPU as ATI Radeon 5870. I also like the corsair Modular PSU. Less cords seems to appeal to me. Must have firewire or IEEE1394 interface for dv video.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Probably not. But ability would not hurt.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I'm not completely sure which to go for. Since this is for gaming any suggestions of resolution would be appreciated.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have never built a computer before, but have replaced a sound card and video card or two in the past. I am a bit nervous about building one in all honesty. I have very limited time and space to build this computer. I have to fight for space with 2 cats and a little baby. So hopefully it will not end up being an epic battle to finish this build.

I live in Poland, so the site will be using the Polish Currency. The exchange rate is roughly 3pln/$1, so easiest way to figure out the prices is just to divide the polish amount by 3. Actual rate today is 3.14pln/$1. Many parts are available here, however they tend to be a bit more expensive and never as bundles. So I'm really just looking at getting parts that are quality and will do what I need.

Parts I've come up with so far

CPU - i5 750

GPU - MSI Radeon 5870 This looks to be a reference card, which I think is better? Other suggestions would be welcomed.

Mobo - ASUS P7P55D-E PRO

HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3, 3.5'', 1TB, SATA/300, 7200RPM, 32MB cache

Ram - I actually have no idea what to pick here. Please suggest. 4GB or 8GB? cl9, cl8, cl7??

Optical - LG DVD-ROM 16x/48x SATA

PSU - Corsair CMPSU-650HXEU ATX 650W PFC I like the modular designs, as it looks like there are less cables to deal with.

Tower - Cooler Master HAF 922 I would like a case that cools well but is not loud, so possibly another if you know better.

OS - Win Home Prem 7 English ROW Not to Latam DVD

Monitor - I will have to look at these in person, but any suggestions which are good for gaming, resolution etc, I'd like to hear. I could also see if certain monitors exist here.

Price so far without monitor and RAM. $1,541.30

For the RAM you'll want 4 GB CL7, 8 GB is overkill for now.

I'd go with the HX750W just to make sure you have enough power for HD 5870 later on.

Otherwise it looks good.

TRENDING THREADS