Choosing a motherboard

Pashtun

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hey guys, I need some help choosing a mother board for an MMO gaming computer. I am pretty clueless on what makes one motherboard better than another, so all advice and info is appreciated.

I am looking at the Intel 2500k for cpu and either AMD 6950 or 6970. What motherboard or types of motherboards should I be looking at? I am NOT looking for a crossfire setup.

I am looking for MMO gaming performance, specifically for games like RIFT. Does a motherboard even make a difference?

Thanks for any and all help, Pashtun.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Well if you want the 2500k you will want a p67 or z68, the latter of the two is the newer chipset and combines the features of the h67 and p67 into a single package. If your sure you will never want crossfire a single pci-e slot M/B will be fine.

Pashtun

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

What is the advantage of the newer z68 for gaming? For playing mmo games like RIFT would the p67 provide the same performance?

I don't understand MOBOs, what does a more expensive MOBO provide for gaming...don't plan on crossfire...just one GPU.

Well a motherboard mostly does not matter as far as gaming is concerned.. I say mostly because overclocking is an important gaming aspect nowadays and this where a good motherboard surely matters.. Keeping that and your requirements in view, i'll recommend going for something like the Asrock Z68 Pro 3.. The availability of using integrated video options provides adequate backup (in case your discrete video card stops working for some reason).. You can always get a better board depending on your budget..

^ +1
Low cost MB are Low cost for a reason - lower quality witch affects overclocking ability (You did by a K CPU) and memory compatability.
As to the P67 vs Z68 - Do not pass go, donot collect $200 - Buy the Z68. There are several reviews out there (tweaktown and maxiumPC plus several others) that will explain why. I have other reason - but that is me.
On the pci-e slots available, even if you do not plan on SLI/Xfire, this should be important as even if you do not at this time plan on using it - things change. Also that 2nd PCI-e slot can be used for other add-on cards.

Also pay attention to Number of Sata Ports available, and also the number of USB2/3 ports that are availble. Does the MB come with a front panel adaptor for USB 3 (about $15 if need to Buy). If case has a front panel USB 3 port - not an issue. What about esata connector on back/or front, Of lesser importance, do you need fire wire.
Bottom line, it's not just the Nr of pci-e slots.

Also, as Emperus pointed out, the ability to use IGP as a back-up is great - But not ALL Z-68s allow for this. ie the only gigabite MBs that provide a output for the IGP video are their LOW end mATX boards - that could change.

TRENDING THREADS