DG965SSCK Mother Board Broken?

WongTongSoup

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Ok I have a problem. I'm pretty sure my video card burned out so I took it out and tried hooking up my monitor to the mother board VGA but it won't recognize it. To confirm my monitor wasn't broken i hooked it up to another computer and it worked just fine. Any ideas on whats wrong? I have had people tell me that my mother board might of given out on me. I do remember after the crashes to my computer that when I tried to turn it on, the computer made beeping noises... My computer is custom built in March of 2007!

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Typically those beep codes mean something is wrong (often listed on the manufacturers site), usually RAM. Try removing all but one stick, and power up. If it boots, you know one or more sticks are bad. Another thing you may want to try is remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds to reset the BIOS (could be attempting to display to the PCIe slot).

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
The battery is fairly cheap, and more easily obtained through B&M stores (radio shack, PC shop, ect...) They only cost about $5. Check your BIOS to make sure your display is set to PEG (onboard vid), and double check all other settings. Then boot to windows (or try) then reboot (the error should disappear).

WongTongSoup

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I just rebooted with the same battery and everything seems to be working fine... Should I still change the battery? Also how do I check to see which ram is bad? I took 3 out of the 4 rams out.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Battery is fine then, add one stick at a time and see if it boots. If it errors or stops booting, you know which stick is bad. If it is the first stick you add, remove it and keep trying the other sticks.