Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Mobo for E8500

Last response: in Motherboards
May 13, 2011 12:03:01 PM

Short Story:
I'm looking to spend up to $500 on a new 775 motherboard, power supply, and RAM that will support my E8500 processor I currently have. If possible, I'd like it to work with DDR3. The system will largely be for gaming. Video card is a 280 GTX.

Long Winded version:
I've been having PC issues for the last several months, mostly due to bad RAM that I've been too lazy to replace. I had 4 sticks of Crucial Ballistix 2GB and lots of blue screens. I used Memtest86 to determine that two of the sticks were bad, so I pulled those. That was about a year and a half ago. I've also had 4 sticks of Crucual Ballistix die on me at work over the last two years.

Anyway, this morning I woke up to Windows reporting that it had recovered from an unexpected crash and several of my programs failed to start (FTP server, window manager, etc). I tried to start a game and ended up with a blue screen reporting a memory problem. Oh well... two sticks of RAM remaining, maybe I don't have to run in pairs. So I reached into my PC case and pulled out a stick of RAM. Hit the power button and.... no POST. So I stick my RAM Back in again, hit the power button, and no POST.

Forgot to unplug the PC. Thats what happens if you work on a PC at 4 AM. Not 100% certain that is what caused it though, but it surely wasn't a good idea. Power supply could be bad I suppose, but I'm certain that I have bad RAM and it needs to be replaced, regardless of the condition of the power supply. So, now I'm considering replacing the RAM, mobo, and power supply in one shot. I'm not sure what to get though.

Processor: E8500
Video card: GTX 280

I'd like to go with 8GB DDR3, though to be quite honest, I'm not sure if I can with E8500. I know that a few years back, you had to keep everything matched, but I haven't been keeping up with hardware lately. I don't think that is the case any more though. But thats why I'm here hoping to get some help.

I realize that I can go to Newegg and sort by highest rated, but when I did that for motherboards, all of the highest rated boards had about 5 ratings, and the highest rated board with lots of ratings was only $50. I'm looking to spend as much as $200 on a motherboard. I don't desire SLI/Crossfire and though the E8500 I bought was a good candidate for overclocking, I'm not interested in that either. I can also swing a few hundred more for ram and power supply too.

More about : mobo e8500

May 14, 2011 4:27:18 AM

Well, I went ahead and bought a new motherboard, sandybridge processor (forget the number off the top of myhead), ram, and power supply. PC still won't post. That leaves pretty much just the GTX280. Guess I'm going to have to get a new one now.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2011 5:04:47 AM

Maybe it is your hard drive?
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2011 12:07:45 PM

Nope, not the hard drive. Turns out it is the installation of the motherboard apparently. I set up my old system outside of the case and it boots up just fine. The moron that installed it (me) must not have done a good job. Twice.

Now, I have to decide which system I want to correctly install in the case:
E8500
Spend $90 on new RAM
Keep Gigabyte main board GA-EP43-UD3L (P43 northbridge)
get $700 back from Fry's

OR

i7-2600k
4GB of CL9 RAM cause Fry's was out of the CL7 stuff (going to exchange it when they get more in, or buy something else online)
Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard
Return the power supply (600w Thermaltake) for about $60

I think I'm going to keep the new PC... now I just have to figure out if the 2600K I bought is REALLY a 2600K. I bought it open-box from Fry's as it was the last one they had. $250 for it is a HELL of a deal though. Even though I don't plan on overclocking, I want what I paid for.
m
l
May 14, 2011 1:18:45 PM

Well, I don't know what was wrong with the install. All screws holding the main board down were tightened, nothing was shorted as nothing but ground pads were near the screws. But, I removed it and then inserted it into the case and powered it up and it ran fine. Connected the hard drive, booted again. Connected case fans, booted again. Don't know what the issue was, but it is trying to run.

Now I just have to reinstall windows again. Just did it about *** month ago. Aggravating.
m
l
May 15, 2011 5:36:45 AM

Well I spent about 12 hours on it, but I finally got Windows 7 to install. God I hope I don't have to go through this trouble again when I have to update everyone's work PC to Win7 within the next year.
m
l
!