Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD not showing up unless rescan is done

Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2012 1:52:31 PM

I have a 2TB Seagate Barracuda that is attached to the Intel SATA port on a GA-Z77X-UD5H. The drive shows up in the BIOS just fine, but when the computer is booted the drive doesn't show in Windows or Device Manager without rescanning. It always takes a couple of minutes to rescan because it won't recognize it until it spins down. I have checked it with SeaTools, HD Tune, Crystal Disk, and Checkdisk. It checks out 100% fine in all tests. I have also switched it to 4 different ports, SATA 2 and 3. The SATA controller is up to date, the driver has been uninstalled and reinstalled, and the SATA cables have been replaced.

I'm at a complete loss on this and can't figure out why it is doing it for the life of me. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : hdd showing rescan

October 7, 2012 3:36:35 PM

Check your bios for uefi, you may need to enable it for a 2TB and larger drive.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
October 7, 2012 10:56:55 PM

Hello,

When it is recognized by Windows, go to Disk Management, and upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box to view on your post.

Also in the lower left Drive column, right click on this drive to bring up the Disk Properties. Click on the Volume Tab and report the Volume statistics, to give everyone a better idea how this drive is set up.
m
l
Related resources
a c 311 G Storage
October 7, 2012 11:30:15 PM

Have you looked for a firmware update for your drive?

What is its model number and current firmware version?
m
l
October 8, 2012 3:50:05 AM

The model number is ST2000DM001-9YN164. It's current firmware is CC4H which is the newest I could find.

m
l
October 8, 2012 3:56:06 AM

Here are the screenshots for Device Manager and the Volumes tab.

m
l
a c 311 G Storage
October 8, 2012 5:46:48 AM

If possible, try configuring your SATA controller for a different mode (eg AHCI, IDE) in your BIOS setup, if only for troubleshooting purposes.

AHCI and IDE use different drivers.
m
l
October 8, 2012 6:15:31 AM

Alright, I'll try that. I believe it's in AHCI right now.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
October 8, 2012 3:30:14 PM

Making progress,

The Disk checks out OK in Disk Management, and Properties. It's a Basic Disk, MBR Partition style, formatted with NTFS, and Healthy.
The MBR will handle the 2 TB drive OK. Along with your other disk checks, that says it's not the Disk. You had mentioned the BIOS recognized the drive OK, so it's probably not the UFI Bios.

As Franc says, it could possibly be the interface or drivers between the UFI Firmware and the Drive Hardware.
m
l
October 8, 2012 4:27:40 PM

I checked again this morning and it's no longer showing in BIOS on boot. Could it possibly be a bad board on the drive itself? Would this throw any errors in Windows?

I thought that I would try transfering some files to and from the device last night. Speeds from the device were in the 28-33 MB/s range, but when i transfered to the device it fluctuated from 1 KB/s to 34 MB/s.

I also forgot to mention that it clicks when spinning up from a cold boot and sometimes clicks when running, and it won't read/write while clicking. I keep thinking it's a bad drive but as I said before it pulls up fine when I rescan once its through clicking and it has passed every test I've thrown at it.
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
October 8, 2012 5:46:21 PM

shimergloom2 said:
I checked again this morning and it's no longer showing in BIOS on boot. Could it possibly be a bad board on the drive itself? Would this throw any errors in Windows?

I thought that I would try transfering some files to and from the device last night. Speeds from the device were in the 28-33 MB/s range, but when i transfered to the device it fluctuated from 1 KB/s to 34 MB/s.

I also forgot to mention that it clicks when spinning up from a cold boot and sometimes clicks when running, and it won't read/write while clicking. I keep thinking it's a bad drive but as I said before it pulls up fine when I rescan once its through clicking and it has passed every test I've thrown at it.

If not, do a full Error Scan on the Error Tab with HD Tune (Pro).

Also, do you have a spare SATA drive (nothing needs be on it) that you could plug into an adjacent SATA port from the same controller in addition to this drive, to see if the MB BIOS recognizes it properly when you don't see this drive?
October 8, 2012 6:03:49 PM

I just found this, so it seems like the drive not being recognized is a semi-known problem. I believe I'm just going to send it back to Amazon. Thanks for all the help, wish it would of worked.

Sorry for wasting your time.

m
l
October 9, 2012 4:22:17 AM

I ended up trying another HDD out and it was picked up just fine. After checking around some more I think it's a controller issue with the HDD itself.
m
l
October 9, 2012 4:22:32 AM

Best answer selected by shimergloom2.
m
l
!