Your question

Help choosing a mobo for my new build

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • New Build
Last response: in Motherboards
May 13, 2011 2:10:27 PM

Hi all

Can you please help me figure out a mobo for a PC that I want to build. I want something that is comaptible with the new i5 2500k and EVGA GTX 560 ti graphic card. I was considering the Asus P8P67 but not sure which one. the LE, M Pro or deluxe. From what I have read only the P8P67 Deluxe support SLI. Although I'm not planning on buying a 2nd video card I would like to keep my options open in the future in case I wanna go SLI. My budget for mobo is $175 maximum.

Thanks

More about : choosing mobo build

a c 312 V Motherboard
May 13, 2011 5:15:23 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd go with the P8P67 Pro that support SLI/Crossfire.
m
l
Related resources
a c 312 V Motherboard
May 13, 2011 8:05:28 PM

It's new and comes with different chipset, looks good for as I say, it's new and not reviews are available yet.
m
l
a c 125 V Motherboard
May 14, 2011 2:43:24 AM

Z68 chipset is really only worth the extra expense if you're going to use the encoding/decoding/transcoding features of Quick Sync (the integrated graphics) and also a discrete graphics card. If you don't use programs that use those features, just get a P67 board.

My recommendations in no particular order:
MSI P67A-GD53 B3
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3
ASUS P8P67 Pro B3

All four support SLI.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2011 11:26:10 PM

This one is sli ready and you can get it with a nice combo price, but again since it is new the reviews are very limited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

It isn't Asus but gigabyte is there main competitor and it is still within your price range even without the combo pricing.
m
l
May 16, 2011 1:45:13 AM

If you live near a microcenter or if you want to order it online, you can get the ASUS P8P67 Pro R3 mobo for $169.99 with the combo deal of an i5-2500k for $179.99. (Add them both to the cart to see the savings.)

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?...

The total for both is $349.98, while at Newegg the total for both is $414.98.

I myself ended up going with the ASUS P8Z68 because I needed Quick Sync's encoding features. The P8P67 Pro mentioned before though has SLI and Crossfire compatibility, so you'll be fine with that board.
m
l
May 16, 2011 5:09:42 AM

Leetsauce said:
If you live near a microcenter or if you want to order it online, you can get the ASUS P8P67 Pro R3 mobo for $169.99 with the combo deal of an i5-2500k for $179.99. (Add them both to the cart to see the savings.)

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?...

The total for both is $349.98, while at Newegg the total for both is $414.98.

I myself ended up going with the ASUS P8Z68 because I needed Quick Sync's encoding features. The P8P67 Pro mentioned before though has SLI and Crossfire compatibility, so you'll be fine with that board.

Hah!! What do ya know, I have a Micro Center near me.(well kinda) Never even heard of them till a week or so ago and only thought they were elsewhere. How do you find the combo deals? I found a great price on the cpu I want but don't see combos like on Neweggs. I was going to order through Amazon as I don't have to pay tax but I just got a great deal on PSU/HDDthrough Newegg. They had daily deal on Corsair 850HX for less than the 750HX(which i was going to get) and then I combo with HDD to save another $25. I had to pay tax as they have fullfilment center in my state but even though I still saved over $60. So I will get where ever I save the most.
Have you ever delt with Micro Center before?
m
l
May 16, 2011 12:49:56 PM

technoidgit said:
Hah!! What do ya know, I have a Micro Center near me.(well kinda) Never even heard of them till a week or so ago and only thought they were elsewhere. How do you find the combo deals? I found a great price on the cpu I want but don't see combos like on Neweggs. I was going to order through Amazon as I don't have to pay tax but I just got a great deal on PSU/HDDthrough Newegg. They had daily deal on Corsair 850HX for less than the 750HX(which i was going to get) and then I combo with HDD to save another $25. I had to pay tax as they have fullfilment center in my state but even though I still saved over $60. So I will get where ever I save the most.
Have you ever delt with Micro Center before?

You can find their combo deals on their online ad, at the top right of their web page.

As for the store itself, I just went there last week and purchased half of my PC.

The DIY section of the store kind of it makes it feel like a hobby shop, which is pretty awesome.

They also have a very knowledgeable staff that knew exactly what I wanted before I even got a second word out.

I would highly recommend them.
m
l
May 16, 2011 6:29:52 PM

Leetsauce said:
You can find their combo deals on their online ad, at the top right of their web page.

As for the store itself, I just went there last week and purchased half of my PC.

The DIY section of the store kind of it makes it feel like a hobby shop, which is pretty awesome.

They also have a very knowledgeable staff that knew exactly what I wanted before I even got a second word out.

I would highly recommend them.

Some of there prices are awesome. I will be heading tomorrow to get cpu, tower and who knows what else. That 2500k price might be to hard to resist. They also have the best haf 932 and x prices I've seen. Problem is the X includes mail-in rebate and I've heard issues w/Cooler Master's mi rebates. I don't need to pick the parts online do I(for online catalog prices)? Doesn't seem like it

Oh I can see it now, this store is going to be a big problem for me. Kid in a candy shop type
m
l
May 16, 2011 11:04:47 PM

technoidgit said:
Some of there prices are awesome. I will be heading tomorrow to get cpu, tower and who knows what else. That 2500k price might be to hard to resist. They also have the best haf 932 and x prices I've seen. Problem is the X includes mail-in rebate and I've heard issues w/Cooler Master's mi rebates. I don't need to pick the parts online do I(for online catalog prices)? Doesn't seem like it

Oh I can see it now, this store is going to be a big problem for me. Kid in a candy shop type

If you go to the store the prices there will be the same as they are online.

I don't really know much about mail in rebates, but you can't 100% trust them, that's for sure.

Whichever one is cheaper after instant rebates is really the one you should go for.

Regarding the processors:
i5-2500k: $179.99
i7-2600k: $279.99
m
l
May 17, 2011 12:26:02 AM

Leetsauce said:
If you go to the store the prices there will be the same as they are online.

I don't really know much about mail in rebates, but you can't 100% trust them, that's for sure.

Whichever one is cheaper after instant rebates is really the one you should go for.

Regarding the processors:
i5-2500k: $179.99
i7-2600k: $279.99

Did you get your Z68 at Micro Center also. I didn't see it online, I will have to look again. They must have it as a person in another thread got one there
m
l
May 17, 2011 1:22:02 AM

technoidgit said:
Did you get your Z68 at Micro Center also. I didn't see it online, I will have to look again. They must have it as a person in another thread got one there

Yes, I did get my Z68 at microcenter. I was actually that person from the other thread that got it. It was like the only Z68 board at any microcenter... don't have any idea why they had just 1 but I decided to grab it while I could.

The reason it doesn't come up in their search is because it's out of stock at most places, so they don't bother showing you it.

Lucky for you, I saved the link in my favorites, so here it is:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
l
May 17, 2011 3:37:02 AM

Leetsauce said:
Yes, I did get my Z68 at microcenter. I was actually that person from the other thread that got it. It was like the only Z68 board at any microcenter... don't have any idea why they had just 1 but I decided to grab it while I could.

The reason it doesn't come up in their search is because it's out of stock at most places, so they don't bother showing you it.

Lucky for you, I saved the link in my favorites, so here it is:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Actually the other person(link below) was returning a Asus P67 Deluxe which he bought about a month ago as part of a combo. I think he was days away or so for a return. He had been having a bunch of problems with the P67 Deluxe. Like I have been saying is their are some inherent problems with those Intel chips. Please tell me your not in NJ, I hope he is not either as I might have a better chance of finding Z68 board there. I think I may want to go with ASRock Extreme4 anyway(will see)

Thank you again

Other thread link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290924-30-what-p8p67-...
m
l
May 17, 2011 3:53:51 AM

technoidgit said:
Actually the other person(link below) was returning a Asus P67 Deluxe which he bought about a month ago as part of a combo. I think he was days away or so for a return. He had been having a bunch of problems with the P67 Deluxe. Like I have been saying is their are some inherent problems with those Intel chips. Please tell me your not in NJ, I hope he is not either as I might have a better chance of finding Z68 board there. I think I may want to go with ASRock Extreme4 anyway(will see)

Thank you again

Other thread link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290924-30-what-p8p67-...

I am in Ohio, although I just checked it out the only microcenter on the east coast that has it in stock right now is New York's Long Island microcenter.

The ASUS P8PZ68-V Pro is the only Z68 board that microcenter has right now, so if you're looking to buy an ASRock, you'll have to get it from newegg.
m
l
May 17, 2011 2:17:26 PM

Leetsauce said:
I am in Ohio, although I just checked it out the only microcenter on the east coast that has it in stock right now is New York's Long Island microcenter.

The ASUS P8PZ68-V Pro is the only Z68 board that microcenter has right now, so if you're looking to buy an ASRock, you'll have to get it from newegg.

I think the ASRock is out of stock on Newegg. It stinks as I need to pick up a van in NY and I'm meeting folks who are bringing it in from Long Island and not far from that MC. It just pisses me off that they have not come out with more Z68 mobos and cant even keep the stores with the ones they have in stock. I think Tiger has some.
I may go with the ASRock as I still need a firewire hookup. I now the ASUS as 2 connections on board and my case will have one on face but these face panels have many problems and would like a backup without having to pay extra. Well maybe I will get a card reader as it would be nice

Are you up and running yet? If so how are things going
m
l
May 17, 2011 3:01:06 PM

Looks like Newegg just got more Extreme4s in as they were sold out about an hour ago
m
l
May 17, 2011 4:41:42 PM

technoidgit said:
I think the ASRock is out of stock on Newegg. It stinks as I need to pick up a van in NY and I'm meeting folks who are bringing it in from Long Island and not far from that MC. It just pisses me off that they have not come out with more Z68 mobos and cant even keep the stores with the ones they have in stock. I think Tiger has some.
I may go with the ASRock as I still need a firewire hookup. I now the ASUS as 2 connections on board and my case will have one on face but these face panels have many problems and would like a backup without having to pay extra. Well maybe I will get a card reader as it would be nice

Are you up and running yet? If so how are things going

Well, I got half of my parts from microcenter, the other half I ordered from newegg on Friday. They're in Kentucky right now and should be here by Wednesday. I probably won't have it built til next week though because I have finals coming up. I have MSN if you want to talk to me about it when I'm done, considering this thread might be closed by then.
m
l
May 18, 2011 10:02:19 AM

Leetsauce said:
Well, I got half of my parts from microcenter, the other half I ordered from newegg on Friday. They're in Kentucky right now and should be here by Wednesday. I probably won't have it built til next week though because I have finals coming up. I have MSN if you want to talk to me about it when I'm done, considering this thread might be closed by then.

Well I made it to Micro Center in NJ, all I can say is what an experience. :fou:  I just chalk it up to typical NJ service. I left that store having bought several items(which took way to long)but willing to buy several more. I did not get those items because of the terrible service. There was one girl in the build area that would actually help customers(out of about 3 reps) and they had atleast 5+ managers at the front of store doing almost nothing. I left willing and wanting to buy a monitor, GPU card(6950 or 6970), OS system, DVD drive and memory, I did not get due to zero service in those areas.
The funny but not so funny part was that the girl says "Oh we price match Newegg" so I have the print out for the memory,which MC then would not match. There comment was "Oh but we have margins". :non:  I will say that I got a decent deal on the stuff I did buy though. Not one person in the whole store every asked me, Did you find what you are looking for? Nor did anyone ever say thank you ... Sorry for my rant, where has the service gone

Some folks say you don't get service from places like Newegg or Amazon but I have learned far more from those sites then MC could have ever answered for me.

Well if you still want and are willing to chat I can sign back up with MSN. I take it you mean messenger. Who knows we may be building at the same time. I'm going to order the rest today or maybe venture back to MC if they get the mobo in as I want to build this weekend. Good thing is I get Newegg in a day
m
l
May 18, 2011 10:43:46 AM

technoidgit said:
Well I made it to Micro Center in NJ, all I can say is what an experience. :fou:  I just chalk it up to typical NJ service. I left that store having bought several items(which took way to long)but willing to buy several more. I did not get those items because of the terrible service. There was one girl in the build area that would actually help customers(out of about 3 reps) and they had atleast 5+ managers at the front of store doing almost nothing. I left willing and wanting to buy a monitor, GPU card(6950 or 6970), OS system, DVD drive and memory, I did not get due to zero service in those areas.
The funny but not so funny part was that the girl says "Oh we price match Newegg" so I have the print out for the memory,which MC then would not match. There comment was "Oh but we have margins". :non:  I will say that I got a decent deal on the stuff I did buy though. Not one person in the whole store every asked me, Did you find what you are looking for? Nor did anyone ever say thank you ... Sorry for my rant, where has the service gone

Some folks say you don't get service from places like Newegg or Amazon but I have learned far more from those sites then MC could have ever answered for me.

Well if you still want and are willing to chat I can sign back up with MSN. I take it you mean messenger. Who knows we may be building at the same time. I'm going to order the rest today or maybe venture back to MC if they get the mobo in as I want to build this weekend. Good thing is I get Newegg in a day

Oh my goodness, that is quite a story you have there. Some stores just have "different" employees.... and we all know what I'm talking about. THEY PRICE MATCH NEWEGG? I wish I would have known that, I could have gotten 3 out of my 4 parts from there instead of buying from newegg. Oh well, I should be getting the rest of my parts today anyways. Let's hope that they're all in fairly decent condition. You don't have to sign back for MSN messenger (which is called Windows Live now) I was just stating if you already had it you could use it.
m
l
May 18, 2011 3:26:34 PM

Leetsauce said:
Oh my goodness, that is quite a story you have there. Some stores just have "different" employees.... and we all know what I'm talking about. THEY PRICE MATCH NEWEGG? I wish I would have known that, I could have gotten 3 out of my 4 parts from there instead of buying from newegg. Oh well, I should be getting the rest of my parts today anyways. Let's hope that they're all in fairly decent condition. You don't have to sign back for MSN messenger (which is called Windows Live now) I was just stating if you already had it you could use it.

I think I must have Live as I have hotmail, I will look into it. I remember see a bunch of info for it now and then.
I do think I may go with the new MSI board they just came out with. MSI-Z68A-GD80 Seems to look pretty good, who knows its all a crap shoot with these new ones anyway. It has nice features two FireWire ports, four USB 3.0 ports, three PCI Express x16 slots, decent audio quality with optical SPDIF output, a very high-end voltage regulator circuit, and an impressive set of overclocking options, OC Genie button and dual bios to name a few.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/MSI-Z68A-GD80-B3...
m
l