Sign in with
Your question

$1000 i5 Gaming Build buying tommorow! need critique

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2010 4:58:17 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Tomorrow

BUDGET RANGE: Around $1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, programming, web surfing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: adamant about keeping the i5, would prefer a Gigabyte mobo, anything else can be replaced if well recommended.

OVERCLOCKING: towards the end of the year not atm

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

So I have selected these parts for my first ever build. I went with the PSU because I plan on overclocking towards the end of the year. I also intend to remain with a single GPU with no plans of crossfire. How does this look for a gaming rig? Any suggestions that would save me some money without sacrificing the performance I am getting from this build? thanks.

CPU: i5 750-$200
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3-$140
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5830-$200
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold-$140
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB(2 X 2gb)-$100
Storage: Western Digital 1TB-$140
Drives: Lite-On DVD-$26
Case: Antec 300-$55

TOTAL:$1100

July 25, 2010 6:54:47 PM

Hey dude,

I say it all looks good, but I am no pro.

Somethings that came to thought as I looked at it was you could take down your PSU since your not going to CF/SLi.

As for the MOBO, again since no CF/SLi there is the Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 which is only $119 but does not support SATA 3 and that is only a $10 savings IF you don't do the MIR. If you do the mail in rebate then they are priced the same + the SATA3 - your call.

Also look for the combo deals on the EGG, they seem to have a lot of stuff w/ the i5-750.

I am sure you can find a cheaper HDD. There is a Seagate or Samsung 1TB for $75.

You could even cut back on the GPU to a 5770 - depends on the res. you want to play at - I would get a second opinion on this.

Might want to look into some RAM with tighter timings. Something with a CAS7, might be only $5+

I think it looks good though man. looks like you've done your homework, but there really isn't that much to trim.
m
l
!