Sign in with
Your question

How Do I Edit a CD-RW

Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2012 4:31:06 PM

i have files on a CD-RW that i wish to edit or change, for example, my financial situation changes and i want the file to contain the latest info. yesterday i tried to edit a excell file, however i had to create a new file with the new info, and the original file remained unchanged. can you help??

More about : edit

a c 79 G Storage
October 7, 2012 10:50:23 PM

You cannot save changes to an existing file on a CD-RW like you can on a hard drive, that's why you have to save it as a new file. If you don't like having to do that you need to buy an external hard drive, or, if it's a PC, install a second hard drive inside it.

You will then be able to edit and re-save a file as often as you want to.
m
l
a c 88 G Storage
October 7, 2012 11:55:14 PM

you can't change it, but you could save it with a different name, like adding the date on the file or something.
m
l
Related resources
a c 87 G Storage
October 8, 2012 4:54:58 AM

td13032 said:
i have files on a CD-RW that i wish to edit or change, for example, my financial situation changes and i want the file to contain the latest info. yesterday i tried to edit a excell file, however i had to create a new file with the new info, and the original file remained unchanged. can you help??

Using CD-RW for mass storage is extremely ill-advised, especially for sensitive data. Some operating systems allow CD-RW to be treated similarly to a USB stick but the changes will not be written until you explicitly tell the PC to burn them. CD-RW do not last very long, which is why they are not popular at all.

I highly, highly advise that you get a USB stick or use a cloud storage service such as Dropbox.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:29:45 AM

tablete android
rgd1101 said:
you can't change it, but you could save it with a different name, like adding the date on the file or something.

yep, this is what I think...
m
l
a c 372 G Storage
October 8, 2012 12:45:40 PM

If you burned a standard cd format, you can't overwrite, but you can create a multisession disk and add the new copy to it. If you use packet driver software, you can read/write to a CD-RW just like a normal hard drive, just slower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_writing
m
l
October 8, 2012 4:18:00 PM

If you are running Windows 7 you can format a CD to be read as a flash drive. In so doing, you would be able to access the file to edit it as needed. I do imagine, however, that there will be some negligible loss of storage capacity on the CD when formatting it in this manner to account for operational programs required to allow the CD to be accessed as a Flash drive. I hope you find this helpful!
m
l
a b G Storage
October 8, 2012 5:58:07 PM

And yet another problem with CD-RW is not all CD drives, even if they are CD-RW can read the disk. May or may not be important to you, but if you are in the habit of sending disks to other co-workers or friends to use, it is highly possible they will not be able to access or even view the files.
Agree, CD-RW's, especially in this day in age where USB sticks with gigabytes of storage can be bought for only a very few dollars each, CD's/DVD's are an extremely poor way to save data that needs updated periodically.
m
l
!