I can decide between 4890 or 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenkas

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I'd go with the 5770 for DX11. They perform pretty close I think but with DX11 you can get Tesslation and Depth of Field - although those are gpu hogs. Even with them turned off, DX11 does a signifiantly better job over DX10 of allowing multi threading on the CPU so you can still get better fps sometimes.

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Nah DX11 isnt even used in games :\ so dnt belive that crap, geta 4890 if you can get it for same price, the 5770 is a cheap card but good for its price.

Dnt get hyped about dx11 look at dx 10 from 9 it took years before it was even used.

...lol. WTF. Yes, it is used. It's a newer tech but it's used already in AVP, STALKER: CoP, Dirt 2, BF:BC2, Metro 2033, and Battleforge and it is going to be in another 9 upcoming games soon, and any new games will definitely be picking it up since it's the new *** and is supported by ATI and Nvidia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

Also:
http://forums.gamespy.com/computer_hardware/b50692/19944893/p1/
Features of DX11 include:
1. Uses much less system memory irregardless of how many windows you have open. However GPU memory will still be consumed (so close them windows before playing games)
2. Introduces Direct2D for hardware accelerated 2D. This is a replacement for the software only GDI/GDI+ Windows uses to render 2D objects (like splines). Direct2D is rumored to be ported to Vista and XP.
3. Better display scaling, this is mostly when you have a projector hooked up to your widescreen laptop.
4. Most of the DX11 features are compatible with DX10 hardware.
5. Multithreading support. This means DX11 functions will support multi-core processors.
6. Tessellation - This takes a polygon and breaks it up into even more polygons. This allows for smoother looking curves and higher detail. The best way to think of this, it's as if you took bump mapping or virtual displacement mapping but it's actually real polygons instead of texture tricks. This is the only feature that requires DX11 hardware.

7. Better GPGPU support, if you're into that thing
8. Heterogeneous graphics support - This was missing in Vista but was in XP. Basically you can take two different graphics cards with totally different drivers and have them run at once. But this isn't an alternative to SLI or Crossfire. Meaning if you run a game, it'll still run on one card or the other.

Anyway, the 4890 does perform better, around 5 fps better average or thereabouts. So if that's all you care about then it's a good choice.

jenkas

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

Well the FPS are important to me but 5 FPS don't make much diference I think in that field i will go with the 5770, but in the future I can crossfire the 5770 and get very good FPS don't you think, and with the DX11 benefits? I've heard about two 5770 working almost equal than a 5870 and for 60-40 buck less, my question is, I have a CM 750W PSU single +12V rail with 60A, it will handle two 5770?

It's fine to not see the benefit of something. People love to remain in the dark. Ignorance is bliss, right? But it's just not smart to try and argue that new, better technology is useless crap and should be ignored. Obviously a lot of people disagree with that. Make your opinion known, and move on.

DX11 FTW... IMO.

jenkas

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
well after all the time i was looking i better get a GTX460 768Mb and im so happy it has DX11 and is a monster, low temps and noise and low power usage, i can OC to 900Mhz stable, every game I play run in max setting 1680 x 1050 with more than 30 fps, so i play fluid for my taste, the only game pushing me down is crysis, i have to put AA to 2x max for a good play, even crysis 2 run perfect in max settings.

Crysis is a beast after 4 years of release, what a game, DX10 and smash all the DX11 games, i think just BF bad company 3 will won this year.

anyway thank for your help everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.