Nikon D2X

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 24, 2004 4:31:00 AM

So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
shelves?

I hope it lives up to all of our expectations.

More about : nikon d2x

December 24, 2004 4:31:01 AM

"Viperdoc" <jninomiNOSPAM@attglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o jKyd.176095$T02.126187@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
> factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
> shelves?
>
> I hope it lives up to all of our expectations.
Mebbe it's Nikon's typical vapor-rumor-announce ware. It'll show up shortly
after Canon takes another leap ahead.
December 24, 2004 4:31:01 AM

Viperdoc wrote:
> So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
> factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
> shelves?
>
> I hope it lives up to all of our expectations.

Check out Ken Rockwell's *REVIEW*. Nikon has a dozen pages promotional
PDF file. Neverthless, it's a capable camera but the performance of the
Sony 12MP 1.53x cropped CMOS semsor is unknown.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 4:31:01 AM

"Viperdoc" <jninomiNOSPAM@attglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o jKyd.176095$T02.126187@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
> factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
> shelves?

Someone at Ritz told me deliveries are supposed to start in January, but you
won't get one then unless you are already on "the list."
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 4:31:02 AM

"PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message

> "Viperdoc" <jninomiNOSPAM@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:o jKyd.176095$T02.126187@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
>> So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
>> factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
>> shelves?
>>
>> I hope it lives up to all of our expectations.
> Mebbe it's Nikon's typical vapor-rumor-announce ware. It'll show up
> shortly
> after Canon takes another leap ahead.

Are you this boring in real life too? Your Nikon bashing is getting old.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 4:31:02 AM

"PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message

> "Viperdoc" <jninomiNOSPAM@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:o jKyd.176095$T02.126187@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> > So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
> > factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
> > shelves?
> >
> > I hope it lives up to all of our expectations.
> Mebbe it's Nikon's typical vapor-rumor-announce ware. It'll show up
shortly
> after Canon takes another leap ahead.

Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of them
tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do that?
December 24, 2004 4:31:03 AM

news:o Jmdnb-HHoS-4FbcRVn-jA@comcast.com...

> Are you this boring in real life too? Your Nikon bashing is getting old.

Truth hurts, doesn't it,
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:54:19 AM

In article <vqLyd.2804$5y3.435@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, photoman@wfeca.net
says...

> news:o Jmdnb-HHoS-4FbcRVn-jA@comcast.com...
>
> > Are you this boring in real life too? Your Nikon bashing is getting old.
>
> Truth hurts, doesn't it,

I guess that was supposed to be a question.

Anyway, are you concerned that Canon will go broke if you don't convince
all of the Nikon owners to switch? Otherwise what is the point? You
actually want to drive the price of your chosen brand higher (supply and
demand)? Or, as the other person wrote, are you just that lame that
you have nothing better to do?
December 24, 2004 6:54:20 AM

"Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
> Anyway, are you concerned that Canon will go broke if you don't convince
> all of the Nikon owners to switch? Otherwise what is the point? You
> actually want to drive the price of your chosen brand higher (supply and
> demand)? Or, as the other person wrote, are you just that lame that
> you have nothing better to do?

Actually, I'm doing a study of denial, and find that loyal Nikon owners
provide the best examples in the photo newsgroups.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:57:53 AM

Archived from "Viperdoc" <jninomiNOSPAM@attglobal.net> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004
01:31:00 GMT:

>So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
>factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
>shelves?
>
>I hope it lives up to all of our expectations.

Q1 '05
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 8:35:43 AM

"PhotoMan"

> "Randy Howard"
> > Anyway, are you concerned that Canon will go broke if you don't convince
> > all of the Nikon owners to switch? Otherwise what is the point? You
> > actually want to drive the price of your chosen brand higher (supply and
> > demand)? Or, as the other person wrote, are you just that lame that
> > you have nothing better to do?
>
> Actually, I'm doing a study of denial, and find that loyal Nikon owners
> provide the best examples in the photo newsgroups.

Denial of what? The D2X is well on it's way, specs are on Nikon's
website.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 4:01:12 PM

In article <euidnQt67OQDLVbcRVn-1Q@wavecable.com>,
christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...
> Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
> delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of them
> tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do that?

More importantly, HOW could they do that. They've been about a step
behind Canon since the 1Ds and 10D were introduced.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

"Brian C. Baird"
> In article <euidnQt67OQDLVbcRVn-1Q@wavecable.com>,
> christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...
> > Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
> > delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of them
> > tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do that?
>
> More importantly, HOW could they do that. They've been about a step
> behind Canon since the 1Ds and 10D were introduced.

I see much of this and don't totally understand it. If
your need is to have the latest equipment out there
I can understand it. Some people keep their gear for
years and have a different perspective.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 4:01:13 PM

"Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
> In article <euidnQt67OQDLVbcRVn-1Q@wavecable.com>,
> christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...
> > Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
> > delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of
them
> > tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do
that?

> More importantly, HOW could they do that. They've been about a step
> behind Canon since the 1Ds and 10D were introduced.

The only thing I can see where Canon might have a lead would be in the
megapixel count. Beyond that, I don't see much difference. Of course, bigger
is better, especially if you are using your camera to compensate for
something.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:12:37 PM

I had canon. They make gadgets and toys.. oh and buggy half finished cameras
you can not rely on.....

:)

We can all do it..

"PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message

> "Viperdoc" <jninomiNOSPAM@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:o jKyd.176095$T02.126187@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
>> So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
>> factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
>> shelves?
>>
>> I hope it lives up to all of our expectations.
> Mebbe it's Nikon's typical vapor-rumor-announce ware. It'll show up
> shortly
> after Canon takes another leap ahead.

December 24, 2004 10:41:58 PM

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:12:37 +0800
In message <41cbc0b3$1@quokka.wn.com.au>
"Marli" <xxxx@xxxx.xx> wrote:

> I had canon. They make gadgets and toys.. oh and buggy half finished cameras
> you can not rely on.....
>
> :)
>
> We can all do it..

Well, no, we can't...
That's why WE buy cameras and then complain here. ;^)

When Nikon started outsourcing to China they produced a lot
of expensive junk. That's why I switched to Canon last year.

Jeff
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 12:51:50 AM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Viperdoc" <jninomiNOSPAM@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > news:o jKyd.176095$T02.126187@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> > > So when is this thing supposed to show up? Are there any new rumors or
> > > factual information as to when they will actually appear on dealer's
> > > shelves?
> > >
> > > I hope it lives up to all of our expectations.
> > Mebbe it's Nikon's typical vapor-rumor-announce ware. It'll show up
> shortly
> > after Canon takes another leap ahead.
>
> Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
> delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of them
> tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do
that?

Um because they arnt Canon.
December 25, 2004 12:51:51 AM

"Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> > Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
> > delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of
them
> > tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do
> that?
>
> Um because they arnt Canon.

Then again Nikon hasn't needed multiple "firmware" upgrades. The 20D is on
it's 4th firmware since product launch. Original, replaced by 1.0.4, and
1.0.5 within 2 days, now on 1.1.0 There is a price to be first.

Expect in FY2005 a 10-12 megapixel Nikon D200 with possibly the same sensor
as the D2X but in a D100 type body with the 6 megapixel function disabled.
Nikon will most likely not switch from the DX platform. Other Nikon rumours
circulating are D90, and D50 dSLR

There are rumours of a new Pentax dSLR. There are 10, 11 and 12 megapixel
Sony sensors that could find their way into a new Pentax. Rumour hints at a
Maxxum 9D with a similar sensor. Pentax today dropped their prices on some
product, but I didn't have time to look at the memo. Economy of scale hints
at that sensor appearing in several (non Nikon) products.

Canon most likely will replace the Digital Rebel (300D) in Q2 or Q3 FY2005.
As the300D will be 2 years old, which is old by Canon's standards.
December 25, 2004 12:51:52 AM

"Darrell" <no@spam.here> wrote in message

> Then again Nikon hasn't needed multiple "firmware" upgrades. The 20D is on
> it's 4th firmware since product launch. Original, replaced by 1.0.4, and
> 1.0.5 within 2 days, now on 1.1.0 There is a price to be first.

What Nikon needs is "hardware" upgrades - like FF sensors, low noise ISO
1600 & 3200, etc.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:45:15 AM

"Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote:
> christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...

> > Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
> > delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of
them
> > tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do
that?

> More importantly, HOW could they do that. They've been about a step
> behind Canon since the 1Ds and 10D were introduced.

No, no. You blokes in the front lines of the Canon/Nikon wars have it all
wrong. The camera lines really aren't all that different (especially if you
remember that Kodak makes a Nikon mount full-frame camera that beats the 1Ds
on resolution).

What's most significant is that the two companies simply operate
differently.

Canon screws you over by dropping their new product announcements like
bombshells immediately before the new product appears, so people never know
whether or not it's safe to buy a current product more than 6 months after
its release. (Well, by now we all should have figured out that it's
seriously dumb to buy a Canon camera that's over 6 months old.)

This is a serious nasty, since it leaves the window of opportunity (between
the worst of the initial bugs being resolved and the imminence of
replacement) for purchasing Canon cameras incredibly narrow. It's amazing
they sell any cameras at all.

Nikon is much more civilized about giving you fair warning about whether or
not to buy the current product.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 9:41:25 AM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D uadnW7BnL5CplHcRVn-gA@wavecable.com...

> "Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
> > In article <euidnQt67OQDLVbcRVn-1Q@wavecable.com>,
> > christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...
> > > Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
> > > delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of
> them
> > > tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do
> that?
> >
> > More importantly, HOW could they do that. They've been about a step
> > behind Canon since the 1Ds and 10D were introduced.
>
> The only thing I can see where Canon might have a lead would be in the
> megapixel count. Beyond that, I don't see much difference.

You've forgotten noise and dynamic range. More pixels and better pixels.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 9:51:04 AM

I had Canon. I did not like taking cartoons, I like to take images. The over
creamy Lion King type noise reduction which you can not reverse is to much.

I like to have the choise myself, and not leave it up to Canon.

> news:o Jmdnb-HHoS-4FbcRVn-jA@comcast.com...
>
>> Are you this boring in real life too? Your Nikon bashing is getting old.
>
> Truth hurts, doesn't it,

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 8:26:50 AM

"Marli" <xxxx@xxxx.xx> wrote in message news:41cc9c93@quokka.wn.com.au...
>I had Canon. I did not like taking cartoons, I like to take images. The
>over creamy Lion King type noise reduction which you can not reverse is to
>much.
>
> I like to have the choise myself, and not leave it up to Canon.

Are you talking about DSLRs or P&S cameras? Noise reduction isn't overdone
on the DSLRs that I have experience with, the D30, 10D and 20D.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

In article <10so6u31i0kj019@corp.supernews.com>, "Fletis Humplebacker"
<!> says...
> > > Nikon has a long history of announcing new cameras at Photokina and
> > > delivering them the first quarter of the year. I have never heard of them
> > > tying their releases to Canon's developmental cycle. Why would they do that?
> >
> > More importantly, HOW could they do that. They've been about a step
> > behind Canon since the 1Ds and 10D were introduced.
>

> I see much of this and don't totally understand it. If
> your need is to have the latest equipment out there
> I can understand it. Some people keep their gear for
> years and have a different perspective.

Depends how much of a control freak you or your editors are.

If you need the best image quality, you probably need the latest gear...
and you can afford it.

Otherwise, it's just an exercise in pushing the boundaries.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

In article <duadnW7BnL5CplHcRVn-gA@wavecable.com>,
christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...
> > More importantly, HOW could they do that. They've been about a step
> > behind Canon since the 1Ds and 10D were introduced.
>
> The only thing I can see where Canon might have a lead would be in the
> megapixel count. Beyond that, I don't see much difference. Of course, bigger
> is better, especially if you are using your camera to compensate for
> something.

Er... noise?

Full frame?

Frame rate?
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

In article <41cc9c93@quokka.wn.com.au>, xxxx@xxxx.xx says...
> The over
> creamy Lion King type noise reduction which you can not reverse is to much.

Wha? Canon has the least noticeable noise reduction of any camera
manufacturer.

> I like to have the choise myself, and not leave it up to Canon.

"Choise"?

You can adjust the sharpening, contrast, saturation... did you read your
manual?
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
!