Sign in with
Your question

One larg partition, or several small partitions? (Bside sys part.)

Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2012 8:40:13 PM

Hello all..

I always liked to split my hard drives to one small partition for system, and the rest of the drive make it into one large partition.. and secondary drives would be a single partition. that's because I hated labeling a partition (Movies) and it gets full, and then I have to relabel another partition (Music.. AND OH YEAH.. SOME MORE MOVIES). I've been doing that until my 1tbs..

Today, I got my new 2TBs, and I'm getting ready to clone my system and get rid of the old drives, and I was wondering if I should do the same with as large drives as 2TBs? would it heart the performance badly?

thanks in advance
a c 104 G Storage
October 7, 2012 10:32:09 PM

Hello,

It doesn't make a lot of difference anymore with the size and speed of HDD's, so there's no one right answer.

As you suggested, might consider making the first partition your boot drive, say 256Gb (for OS & programs), make another partition say 500GB for data and leave the remainder Unallocated.

Now, you can shrink or extend a partition with Disk Management or 3rd party Partition applet when you need more space, even Mount a partition to an empty folder, or point to a separate partition area with Libraries. Lots of new choices.

One important thing to do is use a separate HDD as your backup drive, or for Win-7 Image backUp, and not on the same primary large HHD that you have.
October 7, 2012 10:48:48 PM

thank you John.. that was really helpful.
I also like the idea of leaving some space unallocated until I need more space.. it gives a great deal of flexibility, and helps a lot with my fear of commitment :) 
!