Sign in with
Your question

Is my brand new Asus 470 GTX overheating?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2010 7:51:50 PM

I just replaced my old EVGA 9800GT PCI-e card which I never had problems with, with a brand new purchased from BestBuy Asus 470 GTX. I was playing Bad Company 2 for about 20 minutes and all of a sudden the game locked up and my screen showed funny colors. The sound was still going in the background however. Then the game unfroze but the funny colors remained on the screen. I was able to quit the game and right away launched GPU-Z to check the temp. The GPU was @ 90C and the fan speed was @ 73%.

Is that too hot for this card? Are those signs of overheating?

My system:

MSI NF750-G55 mobo
Phenom II 965be cpu
4GB Patriot 1333 ram
600w Thermaltake TR2 psu with 56amps
Windows XP Pro
All the latest drivers.
June 17, 2010 9:05:15 PM

Well the thing is...my side panel has been off since I installed the video card. The two 6pin cables plug on top of the card and the cables stick out enough that I can't get the side panel on. I also forgot to mention that I have one 180mm fan in the back of the case going.

My cpu is not oc'ed either.

I just played 1 hour of NBA 2K10 and did not have a problem. But then again, the GPU temp only got to about 85C while playing NBA 2k10.

I'll let it cool down and play some GTA IV and see if I have any problems.
m
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
June 17, 2010 9:09:21 PM

Another thing that can help lower temps is the use of Vsync. Rather than having your video card working extra hard rendering frames that will never be seen, you can use Vsync to have it only work as hard as it has to when delievering max frames for your monitors refresh.
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2010 9:19:36 PM

I will look into a good case...the case I'm using now is pretty old and has no more spots to mount additional fans. Plus it's beat to hell...so a new case sounds like a good idea.

Bystander...thanks for the tip...I'll enable vsync and see how it goes.

Thanks.
m
l
June 17, 2010 9:43:53 PM

Bystander thanks alot this could fix my insane FPS on menu screens if it works there, i get insane FPS on most game menus and it drives my GTX 285 insane reaching 85C+ when ingame it caps at 77 with 50% fan speed lol :\

If i force Vsync with Nvidia control panel will it work on menus?
m
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
June 17, 2010 9:45:01 PM

weehamish said:
Bystander thanks alot this could fix my insane FPS on menu screens if it works there, i get insane FPS on most game menus and it drives my GTX 285 insane reaching 85C+ when ingame it caps at 77 with 50% fan speed lol :\

If i force Vsync with Nvidia control panel will it work on menus?

It will work on most games, but not all. I have a couple games that will not vsync no matter what.
m
l
June 17, 2010 9:51:07 PM

Ill go try dow 2 since that is soo annoying! I get 70C-77C ingame at 50% fan speed like i said but on the menu waiting for a multiplayer game it sky rockets! I wouldnt mind if it was ingame lol very stupid.
m
l
June 18, 2010 2:24:36 AM

Wow asus customer service is ridiculous. I emailed them explaining my problem that the card overheated and that I checked the temps and fan speed with GPU-Z. A level 2 tech replies telling me to "disable whatever software you're using to control the fan speed"

wtf? I never said im using anything to control the fan speed. I told him I simply used a software to CHECK the temp and gpu fan speed.

He replies again telling me "something has to be controlling the fan speed, it should not be set at 73%"

Dammit man...is he not getting it? the fan speed is not constantly 73%...it just so happens it got to 73% because the gpu was under load.

How else can I explain it to this so called level 2 tech...he is trying to brush it off.
m
l
June 18, 2010 4:28:41 AM

Am I wrong to think that the GPU fan is controlled by sensors? The tech keeps telling me the gpu fan is supposed to be running @ 100% at all times even when my computer idles...is this true?
m
l
June 18, 2010 4:48:04 AM

mrblazito said:
Am I wrong to think that the GPU fan is controlled by sensors? The tech keeps telling me the gpu fan is supposed to be running @ 100% at all times even when my computer idles...is this true?

That is NOT TRUE! You have run into Asus' one glaring flaw...tech support. They (generally speaking) make great products but obviously left no budget for tech support. It is truly atrocious. Your GPU should ramp up the fan speed as the temp's increase. I use Nvidia's control panel and set a profile to reach max fan speeds whenever my card hits around 80 C. My cards never go above 82 C when doing that profile, even with the most demanding games (I have GTX 285's in SLI).
m
l
June 18, 2010 5:17:34 AM

lol yea the tech is trying to say I installed some kind of program to lock the gpu fan speed at 73%....I didn't...I just installed nvidia's performance utility and it does in fact shows that my gpu fan is on auto....that guy is clueless and he is LEVEL 2 tech.
m
l
June 18, 2010 5:31:51 AM

Try calling again, maybe you'll be lucky and be able to talk to someone who knows what they're doing.
m
l
June 18, 2010 10:25:11 AM

Omg, i hate pc tech support most havent got a CLUE!!!! i remember i got a PC from PC world when i was a noob and had really bad FPS on most of my games took it back to see what the problem was and they basically said we dnt know we will swap it over if you want lol

It was because i had a crappy x600 graphics card!!!!! God knows how they missed that!

You wanna ring them and say hey the card is way too hot ive tried it on my brothers pc, even if you dnt have a brother and then RMA it!
m
l
June 18, 2010 1:59:00 PM

If you RMA it you are going to get a card someone else sent back and they sent through the test line and passed and repackaged. They do not throw these things away....
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:07:30 PM

Yes get a new case yours looks really bad. Asus tech support might be geting on your nerves but it's your case.
m
l
August 31, 2010 12:43:22 AM

download msi afterburner and set the fan speed yourself. that will fix your issue. it should be at 100 percent and its at 73. afterburner will fix that.

I use msi afterburner on my 470 an my temps hardly reach 70 on load.
m
l
August 31, 2010 2:12:37 AM

That's what I am using. Although, I don't have it set at 100%...the fan on the card is WAY too loud at 100%. I created a custom profile, which works for me.
m
l
August 31, 2010 3:06:33 AM

Yeah, it's probably your case. Send us your price range for a new one, Lowest I'd recommend is a Antec Three Hundred gaming case, It won out in tom's $50 gaming case article, however it's now priced around the $60 mark.

Also, is the problem now fixed with MSi afterburner or not?
m
l
August 31, 2010 4:29:51 AM

you need to have 1.6.1 and it works great. I would not run it at 100 all the time. I just have it set to 100 after 75c. also for a case if your cheap look at the rosewill challenger case. its the best gaming case for the price that I have found.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have now used this case in three builds and it works great. and most of the time you can find it for 34.99 shipped from newegg. lots of airflow turned hd bay and black in and out. I mean its no CM Sniper but its also not 100 dollars.
m
l
September 7, 2010 2:04:53 AM

Yea the problem was solved with the MSI afterburner. I've been playing Mafia II for hours in my heat soaked room, and the temp. has not gone over 86 degrees. I will still be buying a better case in the near future.
m
l
!