Help installing new CCC drivers

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I read about the new 10.6 ccc update but i am not sure how to install them. I tried once before on a differenct computer, and the ccc update then was like 9.8, but i tried to install them but had issues so i am very cautious about the whole process and am not sure what i am supposed to do.
If you guys could run me through the steps on how to uninstall/install the old and new ccc drivers i would very much appreciate it!! BTW my current ccc is 10.4 if it matters...
Thanks for any help!

Solution

Just do the step pointed out, same thing i wrote in my post :)

Just one thing, in your sig you have 2 HD 5970s ? if so dload the ATI Catalyst™ 10.6 Profiles Update also

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
1. Uninstall curent ATI Driver (in control panel)
2. Download and install DriveSweeper
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
3. Reboot in safe mode
4. Run DiverSweeper and choice ATI, then clean
5. Boot you windows in normal mode
6. Install latest ATI Drivers (in this case 10.6)
7. Reboot
8. good playing :)

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
So i download the drivers to the hdd, go to control panel, uninstall Catalyst Install Manager, so far so good right? How do i reboot into safe mode? I have driversweeper installed now but i am not sure how to go into safe mode and also when i do run driver sweeper, i get rid of ALL the drivers under ati, correct?
Thanks so far!

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Actually you don't must go in safe mode (uninstall in safe mode only if you have problem with previous driver), but if you want to go, then boot and start press F8, then choice only safe mode
Yes, mark ATI and clean all submarked files...

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
But do i HAVE to uninstall the Catalyst Install Manager(is that the driver?) from control panel/programs/programs and features/, and what about the aplication profiles, which also have the red ATI logo infront of them?

Can i just download the new drivers from niklas_13 link, run driver sweeper, then install the new drivers?

Sorry for all the questions, ive never done this myself before!

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

It's not problem, but it's easy. Just follow my steps and you can't mistake....

Yes niklas link is good link...

"ATI Catalyst Install Manager", this one you need to uninstall in control panel/programs and features
But wait, Niklas link is for Win 7 x64, what windows you use?

Just do the step pointed out, same thing i wrote in my post :)

Just one thing, in your sig you have 2 HD 5970s ? if so dload the ATI Catalyst™ 10.6 Profiles Update also

Solution

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
ok thanks. just 1 more thing. it is OK to do this NOT in safe mode, as Misko said, correct? if so i can delete the catalyst driver then go straight to driver cleaner, if not i would have to uninstall the driver THEN reboot and do driver sweeper right?
Sorry if a re-asked the same questions, i just do not want to mess up a computer agian because i misunderstood a step.
Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it!!

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Even you can uninstall just in Control Panel, without DriverCleaner, it's ok. Use DriverCleaner only if you have problem with previous drivers.

But most of users use Driver Cleaner, it not a hard thing (i recommend it).

And one more think, like i sargentchimera say it. You use two HD5970s, just becouse it, you must download regular ATI Drivers 10.6, here link:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit
(go for firs one, include 72.6Mb)

And for Crossfire, download this

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

Second Drivers of the top (ATI CrossFireX™ Application Profiles , include 492.5KB)

And why you don't follow my steps, everything is here... Just be sure that you windows is Win 7 x64, This link is only for Windows 7 x64...

And, take it easy, you can't mess up.

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Alright i Did it and it seems to work fine, THANKS GUYS!!!!

I have 1 last question, when i ran driver sweeper, did it remove the drivers for teh 5970s or is the 10.6 suite the driver? I don not remember if the drivers for the card were seperate so i do not know right now if i uninstalled the cards drivers or not.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

You don't need to install drivers who come with graphic card. If you'r, then uninstall these drivers ( uninstall every graphic drivers, but only drivers for graphic card :sol: , before to install new one).
Be sure to install only official ATI drivers (in this case 10.6) and nothing else.

Just one question:
Do you instal second drivers, one for crossfire? (you have two card, right?)

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Yah i installed the ATI profiles for CrossfireX. I suppose it works but i don't know what games it effects. Other than that performance seems to have increased in Crysis Warhead a little and my score in Unigine went up to 3107, it was 3099, so thats a little better. Thanks for all the help!

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Ok i ran the benchmark on the original crysis and my fps went down an average of 13fps to 42 fps(on ccc 10.6) instead of my original score (on ccc 10.4) of 55fps in 3 loops, but only in the benchmark, as far as normal gameplay goes it seems the same. I don't like that there was fps decrease but it seems to only be in the benchmark. Also, it wont let me run the crysis benchmark with just 1 card. The benchmark either crashes or the pc restarts. Kinda weird

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Yes it's little stranger, why you can't run Crysis benchmark with only one card? Try with both card, but disable crossfire mode. In this case will work only one card, you don't need to remove card (just disable crossfire mode in control panel)

Try with 3Dmark Vantage and compare result with previous driver (in 10.6 have many improved feature just for 5970) try with only one card and later with two in crossfire. then compare results... Must be better results....

Here go and see what is change in 10.6:

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_106_release_notes.pdf

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Try with only one card in PC, this is not about new drivers...

You must be able to run benchmark nicely...