Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New computer for non-gamer (i5...)

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2010 7:27:31 PM

Hi all,

I have been researching, reading and researching again and I have to admit - my head is spinning! I haven't built a new computer for about 5 years and havent really kept up with the technological developments...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week!

BUDGET RANGE: $1k (Cdn)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Office apps, Surfing internet, watching movies, streaming media to Xbox/tv, a little gaming, music (some editing/converting)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, monitor, etc – also Antec TruePower 2.0 480W PSU – should be ok??)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca, or whatever

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

OVERCLOCKING: no in the short term...

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

Here is what I was thinking:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 ($139)
CPU: Intel Core i5 760 ($209)
Case: Antec Three Hundred case

Ram (4gigs?) possibly: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB

I also need a 1TB HDD (and was thinking of a SSD for boot?) and a video card. I was thinking that I might be better off with an SSD boot drive and a cheaper vidcard rather than sinking my cash into a fancy GPU. I dont need SLI me thinks.

I would love to hear some suggestions for memory, HDDs, Vid cards, etc. and your thoughts in general on building a multipurpose computer.

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks,

Sam

More about : computer gamer

Best solution

July 25, 2010 7:59:28 PM

The Ram you linked to isnt great. For one main reason, its timings are high (which isn't good)

this is better: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

6-6-6-24 timings instead of 9-9-9-24.

HDD: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Nothing to hardcore, but is certainly good enough for the occasional gaming session: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Hope that helps.

July 25, 2010 8:07:17 PM

Thanks for the RAM advice. And I think $150 is the sweetspot for a vidcard, so that should work fine.

mobo/cpu seem reasonable? And does anyone have experience with SSD as a bootdrive?

thanks again. This forum is a wealth of information - some of us just need a little help to digest it all!

s
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2010 2:57:22 PM

Thanks again! Here is the revised version, as it stands:

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
Intel Core i5 760 (CPU and MB in combo from NewEgg for $344.99 CAD- 10 dollars more than yesterday! :(  )
Antec Three Hundred case

BootDrive (SSD) = 2 choices. 1) Intel X25-M Mainstream, 80 GB This one has great reviews across the board as far as I can tell. $219 CAD

or: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB $189.

Storage Drive (1TB) = SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ

Memory: Here, I am still a little confused. I have to admit, I have never heard of GeIL lol, but on the suggestion of omgitzfatal I was going to go for GeIL Ultra PLUS 4GB (2 x 2GB) I do not really understand the Ram timing, but I guess I will go with the suggested Ram...

VidCard: Again, on the suggestion of omgitzfatal, ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770

DVD (scavenged from old computer)

That's it! Comments? Suggestions? Oh - I was wondering...I have an older Antec TruePower 2.0 480W PSU - would that be sufficient to power the new computer, or should I be looking to upgrade that as well? And one last thing - I dont plan to do much serious OCing, but will I need some kind of after-market cooling?

Thanks for all the help...
m
l
July 26, 2010 3:38:17 PM

depends, if you dont do overclocking, no; if you plan to do light OC then you should need one either, but it might be nice to get one.
m
l
July 26, 2010 6:18:32 PM

Ok, I think I will hold off on cooling for now and focus on the computer itself! I am still hesitating on ssd, the Ram and now I am thinking twice about the mobo. The more I read, the more options I see! : ( Having trouble pulling the trigger....
m
l
July 26, 2010 7:42:56 PM

The RAM is good honestly, if they sold it in the UK and in a 6GB variant I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Your PSU should be ok if you don't plan on overclocking, However personally I would go for a 600W quality PSU just to be safe.

The X25 and vertex 2 are both great choices for an SSD, can't go wrong with either.
m
l
July 26, 2010 8:20:50 PM

Rustyy117 said:
The RAM is good honestly, if they sold it in the UK and in a 6GB variant I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Your PSU should be ok if you don't plan on overclocking, However personally I would go for a 600W quality PSU just to be safe.

The X25 and vertex 2 are both great choices for an SSD, can't go wrong with either.

Thanks man - I took a look at some reviews and that ram does seem like a good suggestion. : )
m
l
July 26, 2010 8:31:28 PM

Yeah its good RAM :)  Good luck with your build.
m
l
July 27, 2010 10:38:07 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Yeah its good RAM :)  Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the help! :D 
m
l
August 4, 2010 2:04:12 AM

Best answer selected by fattony2010.
m
l
!