[SOLVED] Hackintoshes, are they THG legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
After reviewing the matter, OSx86 discussion is fine so long as it is within the confines of direct personal use with software that has been purchased from an authorized retailer. I emphasize "personal use".
Tricky question, isn't it? It's quite legal in many countries to install OS X on any computer as long as you use Apple retail disks. I can't see anything wrong with discussing that. But when it comes to modified ISOs downloaded from the Net, that's perilously close to piracy.

I'm comfortable running OS X, installed from a genuine Leopard disk, in a VMWare VM on my PC.

Yes, but in many countries those T&Cs have been ruled to be not legally binding; in others they just haven't been tested in a court of law.

As for "Apple labelled", with each OS X retail pack Apple provide two nice Apple stickers. Obviously they are not for use of Apple computers, which are already clearly branded, so I have one stuck onto my PC. Is it now "Apple labelled"? Interesting to note that in the T&Cs for Snow Leopard they closed this loophole by changing the wording, which makes me believe that my computer is indeed "Apple labelled" - but they can't retrospectively alter the contract that I made with them when I purchased my retail Leopard DVD.

Edit: Of course none of this alters the fact that Tom's Hardware might deem such discussion to be outwith their Terms & Conditions, so I agree that clarification would be interesting.

Oh yes they can. This is the joy of the modern EULA, just by installing updates they can change the terms of the contract which if it's anything like Windows is only a lease anyhow, they always retain ownership. As such your rights are near nil.

My take - if they are willing to supply me a disk without providing details (serial no etc) for Apple HW then the OS is a product in it's own right. As such fair game to install on anything, providing the copy I install is paid for and legitimate. So clean install on HW or a VM should be allowed on here but links to .ISO torrents etc should not.

I'm not so sure I agree. Especially if I don't apply any updates (OK, I do, but none of them has ever specified a change in my contract with Apple). Until these things are tested in a court of law they remain undetermined.

As for your second para - my view exactly.

This is what the Terms of Service say is not allowed:

any material that violates or infringes in any way upon the proprietary rights of others, including, without limitation, copyright or trademark rights

I don't see it as a violation to simply discuss them. However, it's a real thin line. I'll get some of the other mods in on this, and see what they think.

daship

Distinguished
Apple labeled it the biggest BS I ever heard of. All the internal parts are Intel, Nvidia, ect.... just like a dam pc. I will continue to run Snow leopard on mine, and I will continue to sell them, I use retail DvDs they took my $$ and I will use it as I see fit, and like the guy said they give you apple stickers, so just label your case with it.

I think AMD fangirl is just jealous because the retail install only works on Intel, and she feels left out.

Microsoft is working on Windows 8 and they have a prototype PC to run it on. What if they decide to change their license and say we make PCs now, so you cant install it unless its M$ labeled. World war 3 would break out. Its a matter of time until US forces apple to allow it on other PCs.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

It is a very thin line.

People could potentially get sued I guess.

It happened to Insanely Mac I think...

Argh, I hate being so old.

Violations - It violates the Tom's Hardware Rules of Conduct if you engage in any of the following activity:

* Post, promote or distribute any content that is illegal.
* Promote or encourage activity which is illegal, such as hacking, cracking, scamming.

If Apple declares this as being illegal... does THG take the side of Apple?

Yes, I would see that as a violation.

I see it this way, if you purchased the OS for such hack then no it does not violate the ToS because you are not doing anything Illegal but lets say for instance you burn a copy of OSX in the process then yes it is illegal because you are using pirated software.

Status
Not open for further replies.