External HDD showing in hardware devices but not in "my computer"

ghost261

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I hope this is the right place to post. So I gave my friend my seagate external. I plug it in and open my computer and the icon is not there. I go to control panel, hardware devices and it shows it. So I guess it is recognizing it. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron model p07e. When he plugs his ipod in Itunes recognizes it. It is windows 7 64 bit. Any help please

Solution
Windows often fails to auto-assign adrive letter to external drives, but you can do it manually:

Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management
Find the ribbon in the bottom-right pane which represents that ext drive.
Right-click it and choose "Change Drive Letter & Paths.
Click "New" then choose a drive-letter from the drop-down box.
Windows often fails to auto-assign adrive letter to external drives, but you can do it manually:

Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management
Find the ribbon in the bottom-right pane which represents that ext drive.
Right-click it and choose "Change Drive Letter & Paths.
Click "New" then choose a drive-letter from the drop-down box.

Solution

ghost261

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Alright I did all that and this is what happened when I went to change drive letter:

"The operation failed to complete because the disk management console view is not up to date. Refresh by using the task. If problem persists close disk management console, then restart management or restart computer". I did all that and I still get the same error.

Blazikaran

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015

I have tried this phil, But when i right click on the ribbon the option of Change Drive Letter&Paths does not appear
Need some help
I have an Old WD My Passport which detects perfectly... Just got a new WD Elements, But it doesnt show in My computer, just shows in the hardware
I've got Windows 8.1
Please revert back Asap

Thanks