Sign in with
Your question

New RAID - Spend more or use what I have?

Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2012 11:47:06 PM

I have a Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD, Kingston HyperX 3K 120gb SSD, and a Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200 SATA 6 HDD that are all functioning as separate drives. It started with just the Corsair then I added the Barracuda and just the other day I got a smoking deal on the HyperX, so I bought it. I have never created a RAID array before so I'm looking for suggestions. I use my machine for gaming only. From what I understand, RAID 0 would be my best bet for performance but data lost is most frequent in this RAID setup. So after a little more research, RAID 1+0 might be the next best thing for performance but not so much risk of data loss. However, as I understand, I would need to purchase an additional 500gb 7200 SATA 6 HDD to be able to setup RAID 1+0. Can someone please tell me if my information is accurate or if there is a better route for me to go. Thanks!

More about : raid spend

a b G Storage
October 8, 2012 12:11:45 AM

I don't even suggest it based on the fact you only play games. The only benefit would be the initial load time of the game.
m
l
October 8, 2012 12:17:42 AM

In your opinion is a RAID array simpler than having 3 separate drives to save things to? Or is the convenience not worth the risk an array creates? Thanks for your input.
m
l
Related resources
!