Asrock Z68 Fatal1ty?

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Anyone have any knowledge if / when Asrock will produce / release a Z68 Fatal1ty board? Was looking at the P67 fatal1ty, but will wait if a Z68 version is coming down the line. And maybe the Z68 version, if coming, won't have that dude's face plastered all over the screen.

UPDATE July 14: NO...hahaha...no more Jonathan face staring out at you. There is a selection in BIOS for a different background with no creepy face!

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Fatal1ty has 10 SATA, (4 SATA 3's and 6 SATA 6's), Extreme 4 only 8 SATA (4 SATA 3's and 4 SATA 6's). Can't have too many. And Fatal1ty has IDE / PATA connector and FDD connector, Extreme 4 only has FDD. Love the FDD for use with BootItNG. Like having the IDE connector to move data off old drives, or I can still use my old IDE DVD burner. So, Fatal1ty is the best P67 board I've seen, outstanding reviews, now just like to see a Z68 version, preferably without that dude's face staring at me.

Pretty sure they will release one. Just wondering if anyone might have a clue about when?

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If you want virtually the same board without the Fatality royalties and that "dude's face" plastered all over the place you might consiter the ASRock Z68 Extreme6 which has all the same features as the Fatality save that "dude's face" and the special Fatality mouse port. The P67 Extreme6 goes for about $20 cheaper than the P67 Fatality model with all the same features (it's a good product as I can pesonally attest).

Just see if the Z68 Extreme6 line is coming out soon.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I have looked at the Fatal1ty on youtube and in reviews. Fatal1ty's face palstered all over the place is, to me, a deal killer. I'd recommend the Extreme6 when it comes out on the Z68 platform. But if the IDE plug is what you want then go for Fatal1ty. They have the same specs except for the IDE and mouseport.

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Rarely does an endorsement result in making people hesitate to buy, the opposite of the desired effect, but judging from the reviews, that appears to be the case with the creepy face on these Asrock boards.

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Thought for sure the Z68 Fatal1ty, or the very attractive Asrock Z68 Extreme7 would be out by now. Any clues on release dates for either of these? If Asrock is going to drag their feet, the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO is looking like another option. Some of those Gigabyte Z68 boards are "ok" as well. Would like more onboard display ports than just 1 HDMI.

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Well, here it is!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Fatal1ty%20Z68%20Professional%20Gen3

Asrock claims it's "available in stores" but it's not yet.

Most interesting is it apparently will support Ivy Bridge CPU when it comes out. From the manual:

"5. To run the PCI Express in Gen 3 speed, please must install the Ivy Bridge
CPU which supports PCI Express Gen3. If you install the Sandy Bridge
CPU, the PCI Express will run only at PCI Express Gen 2 speed."

10 SATA ports, onboard video, floppy port, even an IDE, and Ivy Bridge compatible. If the reviews pan out, this looks like the ideal board for me. Still would like to see the Extreme7.

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
For those wondering, Asrock has gotten rid of the creepy face, or at least you can easily change it now. There is a menu selection in BIOS for a different background with NO CREEPY FACE! GOOD MOVE, ASROCK!

TRENDING THREADS