Sign in with
Your question

How future-proof is this system?

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2010 8:20:48 PM

How future proof is this system, before it becomes too obsolete much like my old Pentium 4 rig did.

How many years should it last me?

*Core i7 930 (very overclockable)
*MSI Big Bang X-Power X58 LGA1366 (USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0)
*6GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM (easily expandable)
*DVD-ROM
*Corsair TX850 850W PSU
*ATI Radeon HD 5970
*ZALMAN CNPS9900 CPU cooler
*Coolermaster HAF 932 case
*Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM HDD
*Expansion slots for solid state drives
*Very upgradable

I can use my 2TB HDD for mass-storage, while maybe a 128GB or larger SSD could be used for my games.

Solid state drives are stupid fast, but are VERY expensive.

Question, does the MSI big bang x-power (one of the very best X58 motherboards money can buy) really have USB and SATA 3.0? I just want to confirm that. Can I use 1333 MHZ DDR3 without overclocking my RAM or changing the timings/voltages in the BIOS?

More about : future proof system

July 25, 2010 8:32:30 PM

not future-proof, as you can't make a computer future-proof, just slightly resistant
m
l
July 25, 2010 8:59:55 PM

Hey Dude
You will get several years out of that rig.
I have had one that is almost identical for over a year now and it just rocks.
It chews through anything I throw at it with no problem.

I would hold off on the ssd, I have tried two and they are fast, dont get me wrong they are just not ready for prime time yet. They are way to small and way to expensive. It took me multiple installs to get my system running with all my drives and partitions like I wanted them. And it seemed like anytime I changed a drive parameter in Bios I would lose the OS and have to do a reload. With my raid array I never have any issues the *** just works and keeps on working.

You will get insanely fast wake ups and faster boot times with a ssd ,but I am speaking from experience unless your tech level is high. Just paas on them until the price comes way down and they work out all the bugs.

Hope this helps
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2010 9:22:34 PM

2 years minimum.

35 years MAXIMUM.
/sarcasm
m
l
July 26, 2010 1:46:36 AM

very nice rig.. :)  you wont have to worry about a new build for a good while..
m
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2010 2:03:01 AM

ambam said:
Question, does the MSI big bang x-power (one of the very best X58 motherboards money can buy) really have USB and SATA 3.0? I just want to confirm that. Can I use 1333 MHZ DDR3 without overclocking my RAM or changing the timings/voltages in the BIOS?
It has USB 2.0 and 3.0 plus SATA 3.0GB/s and SATA 6.0GB/s.
Im curious why you would choose DDR3 1333 considering the other parts you've selected? The price difference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600 is only something like $10-$15.
m
l
July 26, 2010 2:32:43 AM

WR2 said:
It has USB 2.0 and 3.0 plus SATA 3.0GB/s and SATA 6.0GB/s.
Im curious why you would choose DDR3 1333 considering the other parts you've selected? The price difference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600 is only something like $10-$15.

The memory standard for that board only goes up to 1333 without having to overclock your memory.

There are no significant performance advantages in having really fast memory. The memory modules heat up and die quicker the faster they go.
m
l
July 26, 2010 2:46:32 AM

ambam said:
The memory standard for that board only goes up to 1333 without having to overclock your memory.
You're buying that type of motherboard with a Zalman CNPS9900 CPU cooler and you're not going to overclock?
What kind of future proofing is that?

Are you sure DDR3 1333 isn't OC as well?

m
l
July 26, 2010 2:47:36 AM

ambam said:
The memory modules heat up and die quicker the faster they go.
Interesting. Never heard that fact before.
m
l
July 26, 2010 3:22:57 AM

Do you really need a 5970? Get a card that you can xfire later, like a 5850 or 5870. Double up when needed and prices drop, then sell them on ebay when you need more. Wash, rinse, repeat.
m
l
July 26, 2010 6:47:02 AM

chedderslam1976 said:
Do you really need a 5970? Get a card that you can xfire later, like a 5850 or 5870. Double up when needed and prices drop, then sell them on ebay when you need more. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The 5970 has 2 gpus so later when it the price lowers and he crossfires it, he would be far in the 6000 series :D 
m
l
July 26, 2010 6:49:58 AM

ambam said:
How future proof is this system, before it becomes too obsolete much like my old Pentium 4 rig did.

How many years should it last me?

*Core i7 930 (very overclockable)
*MSI Big Bang X-Power X58 LGA1366 (USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0)
*6GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM (easily expandable)
*DVD-ROM
*Corsair TX850 850W PSU
*ATI Radeon HD 5970
*ZALMAN CNPS9900 CPU cooler
*Coolermaster HAF 932 case
*Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM HDD
*Expansion slots for solid state drives
*Very upgradable

I can use my 2TB HDD for mass-storage, while maybe a 128GB or larger SSD could be used for my games.

Solid state drives are stupid fast, but are VERY expensive.

It will last you years but if you really want a future proof , go with a amd mobo and processor because you know intel's socket expire almost every year and like a bunch of processors come out and then you wont be able to update unless you buy a brand new mobo. Intel is coming out with Sandy soon and maybe your mobo wont be compatible with it soon. I love intel but my PC im building is gonna have AMD because i keeping it as future proof as it can. The best AMD processor can still with the oldest AMD mobo with just a bios update ! Thats AMAZING ! AMD fusion is also coming out soon ! :D 
m
l
July 26, 2010 8:03:30 AM

ipenguins said:
The 5970 has 2 gpus so later when it the price lowers and he crossfires it, he would be far in the 6000 series :D 

We won't be seeing the HD 6xxx series on retail shelves for at least another 1 1/2 years. The AMD 8-core bulldozers will probably be blown away by Intel's Sandy Bridges. AMD hasn't had a chip faster than Intel's flagship since the old Athlon 64.

AMD's current mentality is to provide decent-performing processors for a fair price, for people who don't want to spend well over $1,000+ for Intel's flagship.

I suppose you could buy a less expensive model, and overclock it to hell.

The 8-core "extreme edition" Sandy Bridge will probably cost >$1,400 just like the Core 2 Extremes did. The flagship model of the bulldozer will probably be <$400, probably in the $300's.

I heard a rumor that clock for clock, the Sandy Bridge is only about 10% faster than the Core i7. There aren't ANY games which make use of Eight-cores, let alone Four.

Only ONE game fully uses a quad-core processor, Grand Theft Auto 4. Most multi-threaded other games use 2-3.

An 8-core, 16-thread CPU is great news for HD video encoders and other massively multi-threaded, CPU-intensive tasks. Gamers, not so much.

The X68 Sandy Bridge motherboards will probably start at $300.

Is the Sandy Bridge going to be called the Core i9? Has Intel said anything about what this processor is going to be named?
m
l
July 26, 2010 8:33:00 AM

Dual 5970s will just about require your own personal nuclear reactor to power the beast.

If you're focused on futureproofing, consider the memory upgrade path. You could eventually fill those 6 RAM card slots with 4GB cards, and anything smaller you'll need to get rid of your current RAM when you upgrade. I'd consider getting 3x4GB of DDR3-1600 or higher. You can always use a RAM disk to take advantage of whatever RAM you're not using for programs.

+1 on DDR3-1600 or higher memory. I know they say you don't need more than 1066 or so but if you overclock you'll run in to issues with the memory speed limits. I mildly overclock my i7-920 to 3.44GHz which requires me to run my RAM at 1440 or so, so I'm happy that I didn't get the 1333.

You can always add an SSD later, but it can be a hassle to transfer the system to it after the fact. It really does provide a significant improvement to the pc experience, though, and I'd recommend one from the start. You don't need a big drive - just get 64GB to 128GB (the X25-M 80GB is a great choice) - use those other TB drives for data and media.

You want to have a motherboard that you can eventually run a RAID array from - this is a significant potential future upgrade for both speed and/or redundancy (if you run RAID10 you get a mirrored backup coupled with striping across disks to multiply read/write speeds)

You shouldn't consider this system 'futureproof' especially since Intel is apparently giving up the LGA1366 socket, but you should have a system that can get significant upgrades for cpu, memory, storage, and graphics for several years, and will have a blazingly fast system from day 1! Enjoy!

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2010 12:11:06 PM

^+1

AMD are ahead of schedule with the introduction of their new technologies. There is a chance Southern Islands won't hit shelves til January 2011 but im willing to bet ATI are doing everything they can to sink their fangs into this years christmas market.
m
l
July 26, 2010 1:39:33 PM

ambam said:
AMD's current mentality is to provide decent-performing processors for a fair price, for people who don't want to spend well over $1,000+ for Intel's flagship.

Only ONE game fully uses a quad-core processor, Grand Theft Auto 4. Most multi-threaded other games use 2-3.
That's also Intel's mentality. "provide decent-performing processors for a fair price" AMD just has more options on the low end and Intel more options on the high end.
i3 530 $115 vs Phenom II X2 555 $100
i5 750 $195 vs x4 965 $180
i7 860 $290 vs x6 1090T $295

Far more than ONE game makes good use of quad core CPUs. *cough*cough* FSX is one of the older games that does.
m
l
July 26, 2010 7:14:50 PM

I actually wish I had gotten the ASUS Crosshair IV formula and the 1090T CPU from AMD. It's not confirmed, but AMD's 8-core "bulldozers" are said to be fully compatible with AM3 socket motherboards. It is likely the bulldozers will outperform Intel's Core i7. If I wanted to buy a bulldozer, I wouldn't have to buy a new motherboard and ram to go along with it.

The 1090T is very close in performance to the Core i7 960, both at stock clock speeds.

Two HD 5970's can be powered by a good quality 1200W PSU. They each use 300W of power at 100% load, Two of them running at full bore uses 600W, half of the capacity of the 1200W power supply. The rest of the system probably consumes about 250W-300W at max. A 1200W PSU is more than sufficient.

I doubt AMD will charge $1,000 for their flagship bulldozer model. Probably between a somewhat reasonable $300-400.
m
l
July 26, 2010 9:07:11 PM

ambam said:
We won't be seeing the HD 6xxx series on retail shelves for at least another 1 1/2 years. The AMD 8-core bulldozers will probably be blown away by Intel's Sandy Bridges. AMD hasn't had a chip faster than Intel's flagship since the old Athlon 64.

I suppose you could buy a less expensive model, and overclock it to hell.

The 8-core "extreme edition" Sandy Bridge will probably cost >$1,400 just like the Core 2 Extremes did. The flagship model of the bulldozer will probably be <$400, probably in the $300's.

I heard a rumor that clock for clock, the Sandy Bridge is only about 10% faster than the Core i7. There aren't ANY games which make use of Eight-cores, let alone Four.

An 8-core, 16-thread CPU is great news for HD video encoders and other massively multi-threaded, CPU-intensive tasks. Gamers, not so much.

The X68 Sandy Bridge motherboards will probably start at $300.

Is the Sandy Bridge going to be called the Core i9? Has Intel said anything about what this processor is going to be named?

i couldnt even finishing reading your post.. YES.. the 6000 series will be out before the year is over.. it has been released information.. had to point that out...
m
l
July 27, 2010 12:34:22 AM

jesman1985 said:
exactly what i was sayin.. UGHHHH!!!! feels good doesnt it.. :D  *bro five*

Release them just in time for Christmas, make a killing on sales, makes sense...

Will the "Bulldozers" be named the Phenom III? The Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge are only the code names for unreleased chips.
m
l
July 27, 2010 2:39:25 AM

ambam said:
Release them just in time for Christmas, make a killing on sales, makes sense...

Will the "Bulldozers" be named the Phenom III? The Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge are only the code names for unreleased chips.

i hope the cpus will be released in time for christmas also.. the gpu for sure since theyve released the info on that one.. but the cpus also?? mannn.. that would be nice.. id be broke.. :D  but itd be nice..
m
l
July 27, 2010 3:22:36 AM

I am not a fanboy of AMD or Intel, or ATI/Nvidia, I just use whatever floats my boat. The bulldozer chips seem promising, and they may or may not use AM3 sockets. Which is why I wish I would have built an AMD rig.

Could you give me a link to the recently released info on the HD 6xxx series?
m
l
July 27, 2010 3:34:46 AM

ambam said:
I am not a fanboy of AMD or Intel, or ATI/Nvidia, I just use whatever floats my boat. The bulldozer chips seem promising, and they may or may not use AM3 sockets. Which is why I wish I would have built an AMD rig.

Could you give me a link to the recently released info on the HD 6xxx series?

i wouldnt say im a fan boy.. buut... ya AMD BBY!!! i do favor amd more but i do know that it goes back and forth.. and honestly it wouldnt surprise me if both corporations allowed it.. a good battle between brands = sells.. which equals money.. they may just be partners behind the curtains.. competitive competition would make more money than if one monopolized the market.. ya know.. but anyways heres that link..

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ontario-southern-islan...

i know its about there cpu's but pay attention to the 3rd paragraph. :) 
m
l
July 28, 2010 6:10:50 AM

jesman1985 said:
i wouldnt say im a fan boy.. buut... ya AMD BBY!!! i do favor amd more but i do know that it goes back and forth.. and honestly it wouldnt surprise me if both corporations allowed it.. a good battle between brands = sells.. which equals money.. they may just be partners behind the curtains.. competitive competition would make more money than if one monopolized the market.. ya know.. but anyways heres that link..

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ontario-southern-islan...

i know its about there cpu's but pay attention to the 3rd paragraph. :) 

If I knew for a 100% certainty that the 8-core AMD "Bulldozers" used AM3 sockets with a BIOS update, I would have gotten the ASUS Crosshair IV Forumla and a Phenom II X6 1090T instead of my Intel system. Intel's 8-core next-gen CPU will use an entirely new socket type. Every time Intel comes out with a new micro-architecture, you have to buy a new motherboard to go along with it.
m
l
July 28, 2010 9:41:49 PM

ambam said:
If I knew for a 100% certainty that the 8-core AMD "Bulldozers" used AM3 sockets with a BIOS update, I would have gotten the ASUS Crosshair IV Forumla and a Phenom II X6 1090T instead of my Intel system. Intel's 8-core next-gen CPU will use an entirely new socket type. Every time Intel comes out with a new micro-architecture, you have to buy a new motherboard to go along with it.

THis is what im saying ! unless your really rich and love to keep buying a new mobo then go with intel !
m
l
July 29, 2010 2:04:55 AM

ipenguins said:
THis is what im saying ! unless your really rich and love to keep buying a new mobo then go with intel !

I read in another thread that the Sandy Bridge processors have some sort of fatal flaw that may delay it's development.
m
l
July 29, 2010 6:04:55 AM

ambam said:
I read in another thread that the Sandy Bridge processors have some sort of fatal flaw that may delay it's development.

Haha just wait for AMD fusion :D 
m
l
July 30, 2010 1:00:37 AM

ipenguins said:
Haha just wait for AMD fusion :D 

AMD Fusion is a powerful IGP attached to the CPU die. It's nowhere near as fast as a dedicated GPU, but it more than suitable for people who don't have much money to spend on a PC.
m
l
July 30, 2010 2:59:37 AM

ambam said:

i hear ya on that one bud.. i hope its on the am3 socket.. it'd save me some money.. im just hoping that bulldozer is going to be as big as ppl have built it up to be.. the ppl in general have given in a big hurdle to clear.. but.. id bet money amd will deliver and then some.. but i cant lie.. if it is on a new chipset.. id pork over and get a new mobo with my pc..
m
l
July 30, 2010 4:30:47 AM

jesman1985 said:
i hear ya on that one bud.. i hope its on the am3 socket.. it'd save me some money.. im just hoping that bulldozer is going to be as big as ppl have built it up to be.. the ppl in general have given in a big hurdle to clear.. but.. id bet money amd will deliver and then some.. but i cant lie.. if it is on a new chipset.. id pork over and get a new mobo with my pc..

I think yes because even the best amd processer can work with the amd2,amd2+ SOCKETS ! So it will work with amd3 sockets !
m
l
July 30, 2010 7:45:05 PM

ipenguins said:
I think yes because even the best amd processer can work with the amd2,amd2+ SOCKETS ! So it will work with amd3 sockets !

hope so.. :) 
m
l
July 30, 2010 8:28:14 PM

jesman1985 said:
hope so.. :) 

dont worry it will , trust me on this one ;) 
m
l
!