Old socket 939 has a problem

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
K not sure its the motherboard or cpu that is dead.

The lights on the motherboard go on, i put a speaker I hear no beeps whatsoever even with the ram taken out. All fans turn on cpu, gpu, psu. But I see nothing on the screen on any monitor.
Okay Its not the ram, i put in another computer to check if it still is working and ran memtest86+ on it no errors. The psu was pulled from a working one but might be a chance that was wrong so I took the one from my current desktop and nothing changed. I tried two different working gpus and nothing. i have elimiated half of the things. So its either cpu or motherboard. Im leaning more on the motherboard, I also heard if you take the cpu fan off and power it up and if it heats up then the cpu is good. <-- DId this it does heat up. Anyone got anything for me to do or should i try to find a cheap socket 939 mobo and test the cpu out.

Solution

if there is no beep without ram,,,
9 out of 10 times mobo is bad.
instead of buying a new 939 mobo sounds like its time for an upgrade my friend.

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

if there is no beep without ram,,,
9 out of 10 times mobo is bad.
instead of buying a new 939 mobo sounds like its time for an upgrade my friend.

Solution

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

oh yea defintly time for an upgrade, but its not my main comp :)! i have an i7 and gtx460 sli. Just trying to keep this one alive because my dad still uses a P4 for a comp he does for work :/. Was gonna fix this up and give this to him since its dual core and it might be faster. Well I might rebuild this I gotta look at my shed to c if I have ddr2 ram left in some old pcs. Well thanks