Read Several Guides - More Confused Than Ever

Victoriousness

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
I'm trying to build a relatively inexpensive gaming machine. This is my first time trying to build a computer myself, so I still have a lot to learn. Right now I'm still shopping around for the components.

This is the motherboard that I'm considering buying:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153205

From that site, I know that I need 240pin DDR3 1333. From the manufacturer site, it says DDR3 1333/1066. From what I've read in the guides, a higher number is better, correct? So I would want the 1333 over the 1066. So far so good. :)

So I go over to newegg's memory section and things start to get complicated. DDR3 1333 also comes in PC3 10600, PC3 10660, or PC3 10666. In addition, I need to choose a CAS Latency of either 7, 8, 9, or 10. Again from the guides, my understanding is that PC3 ##### is better higher, and CAS Latency is better lower. But when I click on CAS Latency 7, all the filter results are DDR3 1066 PC3 8500. :??:

Now I'm super, super confused. For my purposes, should I be choosing a lower CAS Latency or a higher DDR3 #### and PC3 #####?

Solution
The difference in most cases is just a few percentage points. Where it seems to make the most difference is in the minimum frame rate when gaming. The average frame rate and maximum frame rate are about the same, but the minimum frame rate increases a bit when using RAM with lower timings. Whether you will actually notice it or not depends entirely on the game.

Would I spend the extra money? Nope.

Victoriousness

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Thanks for the response. I was only looking at single 4GB sticks, so I totally missed those kits that you listed. Do you or anyone else know if CL7 offers a big performance boost over CL9? In other words, is the added expense worth the performance boost?

The difference in most cases is just a few percentage points. Where it seems to make the most difference is in the minimum frame rate when gaming. The average frame rate and maximum frame rate are about the same, but the minimum frame rate increases a bit when using RAM with lower timings. Whether you will actually notice it or not depends entirely on the game.

Would I spend the extra money? Nope.

Solution

Victoriousness

Distinguished
May 14, 2011

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: $800-$1,000 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing internet, gaming, watching movies, MS office

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, case, DVD-rom, and power supply

More power supply info: Antec SU-380 380W max.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference, just whatever is cheaper and isn't a scam.

Country of Origin: Me or the computer? I'm living in the USA, and I don't mind if the parts are manufactured elsewhere.

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: These are for running two video cards at the same time, right? No, probably not gonna do that.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: I want to save money by using a case and power supply that is approximately ten years old, but in good condition. I looked up the old motherboard dimensions, and they're about the same as the ones that are made today. Is there any reason I should avoid re-using this old stuff?

The case you can most likely re-use. The power supply? H-E-double-hockey-stick no. Don't even think about it.

Note that not all mainboards come with PATA ports. If that DVD drive isn't SATA, you have to specifically look for one of the mainboards that comes with the older port.

It should be fairly easy to replace everything with good quality new stuff and stay within your budget. You'd still keep your keyboard, mouse, and monitor but everything else would be new.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007