Sign in with
Your question

Resolution is overstreched

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 1:52:32 AM

just realized another thing i wanted to post, so recently i've been using my desktop monitor and along with our hd tv downstairs, I had been using a dvi to vga converter, and running the tv off vga which only allowed me to go to 13xx whatever to 7xx whatever so 720p pretty much, so i got an hdmi calbe off newegg, pluged the hdimi into the tv and my dvi to hdmi converter, and my computer did recognize the tv at 1080. Unfortunatly it appears to be overstreching the tv, like the edges are cut off.

I know the tv isn't 1080p i don't believe because when i have my ps3 connected it only detects 1080i, So could this possibly be the problem?
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 1:59:02 AM

jonnyboyC said:
just realized another thing i wanted to post, so recently i've been using my desktop monitor and along with our hd tv downstairs, I had been using a dvi to vga converter, and running the tv off vga which only allowed me to go to 13xx whatever to 7xx whatever so 720p pretty much, so i got an hdmi calbe off newegg, pluged the hdimi into the tv and my dvi to hdmi converter, and my computer did recognize the tv at 1080. Unfortunatly it appears to be overstreching the tv, like the edges are cut off.

I know the tv isn't 1080p i don't believe because when i have my ps3 connected it only detects 1080i, So could this possibly be the problem?

If it's an ATI card you'll find the control to correct it in Catalyst Control Center. Basically it's a problem with overscan correction, the stupidest thing I've ever heard of because a DIGITAL display on a DIGITAL signal actually doesn't NEED overscan.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 3:20:39 AM

well it's an nvidia card, and i think i might have found the problem myself. I'm fairly positive that tv is 1080i, which makes sense in that it can run full hd tv movie etc, but looking around i guess most 1080i tv's downsize to 720 to go to so achieve 60hz
m
l
!