I7 now or Sandy Bridge Q1 2011?

I am going to get a new computer some time soon and game a lot, should I go ahead and get an i7 now or wait a few months and get the new sandy bridge technology?
13 answers Last reply
More about sandy bridge 2011
  1. That depends on how desperately you need a new computer. I'd personally wait for Sandy Bridge to come out, but if you really need a computer right now, then it might be worth buying now.
  2. I'm not so sure you will lust after the 'Granny' Sandy if you have the hots for i7. Sandy Bridge-E should (get you excited :) ) roll sometime in Q2-2011.

Nobody knows, but the *E* will probably cost a bit more than the current i7 arch - LOL
  3. i tell people who are buying now, either get amd or 1366, i think intel might release sandy sooner than we think, ES have been out for a while now and benchies are even available, id wait
  4. Which ever you get, it will be outdated and "old". I personally think the Sandy Bridge aint gonna be that huge of a performance boost over the i7's. Not huge meaning not WOW i need one right now as it makes my OC'd i7 930 look like a Intel Celeron 1.8ghz
  5. Wisecracker said:
    I'm not so sure you will lust after the 'Granny' Sandy if you have the hots for i7. Sandy Bridge-E should (get you excited :) ) roll sometime in Q2-2011.

Nobody knows, but the *E* will probably cost a bit more than the current i7 arch - LOL

The "midrange" sandy bridge stuff that's coming out in Q1 should quite handily beat any i7 on the market today except the 6-core ones, so I wouldn't so quick to dismiss it.
  6. cjl nailed it in both his posts.
  7. cjl said:
    The "midrange" sandy bridge stuff that's coming out in Q1 should quite handily beat any i7 on the market today except the 6-core ones, so I wouldn't so quick to dismiss it.

Is that why it scores 4.63 in Cinebench 11.5 with 4 cores and 8 threads? :??:

Photo from above linky
  8. Wisecracker said:
    Is that why it scores 4.63 in Cinebench 11.5 with 4 cores and 8 threads? :??:

Photo from above linky

WOW, post a three month old article. Much newer info below:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/9
  9. It's not like sandy bridge will be better then all i7 processors. If you get a real good i7 you'll be straight for a few years tbh. And i doubt you will get the best sandy bridge anyway.
  10. oh crap, i forgot about the anand review...lo0l

good looking out badtrip
  11. BadTrip said:
    WOW, post a three month old article. Much newer info below:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/9

LOL!

Also David Kanter has a pretty good tech-detailed article on SB.

Of course the real proof will be with the shipping product, so we'll just hafta wait a bit over 3 months to see...
  12. @fzr2400, start your own thread rather than trying to hijack this one. And if you do start your own don't bump it if no one takes any notice of it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge Computer Intel i7 Product