Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from Nvidia 9500GS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2010 2:12:01 AM

Hello, all!

I'm fairly new to the whole part-swapping scene, and I'm humbly presenting my current state of affairs to see if I can't get some help with deciding what I should do with my current rig.

I'm running on an HP Pavillion m9340f. I'm sporting Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66 Ghz with 6 gigs of RAM and I'm using Windows 64-bit Vista. It's all being powered by a 350W unit, as well.

Unfortunately, my Nvidia 9500GS is falling far behind in terms of graphical output with the 2005-present generation(s) of games. It's no longer bearable with everything turned down to where the "mind blowning graphics" are reduced to blobby pixles and mere shadows of what they could be.

My question is simply this: What should I be looking for to suit my needs? I realize my power supply is probably far too low to run some of these high-end video cards I see nowadays. However, is there a large upgrade available to me that is within the bounds of my current capabilities?

Thanks so much!
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 2:23:03 AM

for around $100 look to the ATI 5670, it will give you very good results at 1440x900

for around $125 look at the ATI 5750, it will give you very good results at 1680x1050
m
l
June 18, 2010 2:28:43 AM

Good deal, CT.

However, is there anything that I could find or research that would lean moreso 1920X1200 resolution performance? I understand that that may be asking a lot given my current hardware, but I'd like to stay at my native resolution if I could. If not, that's fine. I'm desperate beyond measure here.

One more choppy-blocky playthrough of (insert nearly any title here) and I'll rage. =P
m
l
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 2:46:41 AM

well the ATI 5770 would give good performance at 1920x1200, while the ATI 5850 would be the "ideal" choice offering very good performance.

ths issue being is the 5770 needs a solid 400w while the 5850 needs a solid 500w PSU.

I would not consider the HP a solid unit, rather just an adequate one. The 5750 would be the best card you could get without a PSU upgrade. It is capable of giving you medium performance at your native resolution in modern games. It would still be a night and day upgrade compared to the 9500GS. You could probably get away with the ATI 5770 on your current PSU, it should work, but if it was my PC I would get a new PSU.

both these PSU are actually made by a company called seasonic. They tend to make the best PSU out there. These units peak in power well over their stated continuous watts.
$30 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$52 after the promo code
m
l
June 18, 2010 2:59:41 AM

Indeed. The wiring inside of the HP when I first cracked 'er open made me think of a rat's nest.

Thanks so much for your help, CT! I think I'm going to be going with your original suggestion of the ATI 5750. You've been a huge help, brother. I can't thank you enough. =)
m
l
December 7, 2010 11:28:19 PM

ct1615 said:
well the ATI 5770 would give good performance at 1920x1200, while the ATI 5850 would be the "ideal" choice offering very good performance.

ths issue being is the 5770 needs a solid 400w while the 5850 needs a solid 500w PSU.

I would not consider the HP a solid unit, rather just an adequate one. The 5750 would be the best card you could get without a PSU upgrade. It is capable of giving you medium performance at your native resolution in modern games. It would still be a night and day upgrade compared to the 9500GS. You could probably get away with the ATI 5770 on your current PSU, it should work, but if it was my PC I would get a new PSU.

both these PSU are actually made by a company called seasonic. They tend to make the best PSU out there. These units peak in power well over their stated continuous watts.
$30 after rebate

$52 after the promo code

Hope it's ok to open this thread up again. I have the same system and issue as the OP. I checked ATI's psu requirements for the cards you recommend, which state that the 5670 actually requires 400w and the 5750 requires 450w. Could the cards have been updated/refreshed between then and now? Do you still think it's safe to use either card with a 350w psu? And would the system's existing cooling likely handle the expected increased heat either card would produce? Thanks!
m
l
December 8, 2010 8:54:19 PM

I purchased an ATI Radeon HD 5750 today for the m9340f. The first thing I noticed was that the existing GS 9500 card has a 2-pin power (I assume) connector for the pair of wires (one black, one white) coming from the motherboard. The new 5750 has a 6-pin connector. Have I bought an incompatible card? If not, how do I provide power to the 5750 6-pin connector? Appreciate any help.
m
l
December 8, 2010 9:15:07 PM

Quote:
is this the part where we say WE TOLD YOU SO about the power supply and it's importance....?
or the part about which card to get.?

Arrogance I can handle - but how about using it when appropriate? It was stated in response to OP that the 5750 would be the best card without requiring a psu upgrade. So - I was NOT TOLD SO, wrt this card.
m
l
December 8, 2010 9:16:42 PM

Quote:
and technically, you're hi-jacking a thread..

I asked in my first post if it was ok to re-open it. All that was required at that point was a "no". Why respond to me and then question whether I should be asking here later??
Thank you for your responses - i will go away now.
m
l
!