Your question

13" or 15" macbook pro

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2010 7:28:08 PM

Hi there,

Im looking to buy a macbook pro, for my 1st year of graphics a level,
i need it to be portable either the 13" or the 15" , it needs to be able to cope with adobe photoshop
i need at least 5+ hours of battery life for surfing the web, and finally i would like to play arkham asylum and l4d2 on max settings with an absolute minimum of 30fps.

Would really appreciate a response as i have been researching for months

Dom

More about : macbook pro

a c 141 à CPUs
September 27, 2010 9:46:39 PM

Well the best GPU you can get is the 330M in the i5 rig. I doubt you'll run at max settings but it might play well on reduced settings. Battery lie is not an issue.
a c 126 à CPUs
September 28, 2010 6:40:35 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3659/apples-15inch-core-i...

Can't max out L4D2 on the 15 inch MacBook Pro. But can run on high. As for Batman AA.....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35140/

According to Steam and to pretty much any source out there, it is only for PC, not Mac. Its a DirextX game, not OpenGL.

So you wont be able to play it at all on a MacBook. if you really want to play it you need a PC or you can try to run Windows 7 on the MacBook but that would result in a frame rate loss.
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
September 28, 2010 5:22:16 PM

jimmysmitty said:
According to Steam and to pretty much any source out there, it is only for PC, not Mac. Its a DirextX game, not OpenGL.

So you wont be able to play it at all on a MacBook.

You forgot about bootcamp. Mac's way of saying "ok fine, we'll let you dual boot OSX and windows XP... but under our restrictions".

Batman requires XP SP2 or later.

As for gaming settings, There is no way you will be able to max out games like that. But as jimmy said, you can play L4D2 on high at a bit above 40FPS. As for batman, you will likely need to lower your setting quite a bit.

Frankly, for your uses, I am surprised you are even looking at mac since you can get gaming laptops by other brands for the exact same price that would run circles around the macbook.

Researching for months? Mac only has two macbook models. How does it take months to research the two?
a c 126 à CPUs
September 28, 2010 10:06:42 PM

^While I whole heartedly agree with you Enzo, he did say he is doing graphic design and knowing most colleges which tend to hire Windows hating teachers, he probably is going to be taught on a Mac.

Bootcamp is waht I meant. But I was one to think that it wasn't the same as a PC with XP and therefore caused some performance loss when gaming.
a c 141 à CPUs
September 28, 2010 11:48:34 PM

Batman AA can be played on a mac via Onlive guys.
a c 131 à CPUs
September 28, 2010 11:52:42 PM

popatim said:

At 30FPS at 720p provided you have access to a high speed internet connection while gaming.
a c 126 à CPUs
September 29, 2010 12:01:14 AM

popatim said:

I so do not count that. If its not installed on your PC, its not a real game....
!