greeneyedtiger

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
My new build has the following specs:

MB: Asus P8P67 B3
CPU: I5 2500K (no OC)
RAM: Gskills Ripjaws X 1333 2x4GB
GPU: Sapphire 5850
SSD: Crucial C300 (plugged into an Intel 6gb port)
ODD: Samsung SH-223L (plugged into an Intel 3gb port)

The system successfully posts and recognizes the RAM, but tells me that no boot drive is detected and the BIOS does not detect the SSD or the ODD. The ODD's LED light does not come on, nor does anything happen when I hit the eject button or try to open it using the bent paper clip in the hole trick.

I have tried using different SATA data cables, different SATA power cables and plugging the drives into different SATA ports. I have disabled the Marvel controller, tried IDE, AHCI and RAID modes, tried using another Asus P8P67 motherboard, updated the BIOS to 1503...and still the drives are not detected. I thought the ODD would be plug and play but since neither motherboard recognizes the SATA drives I figure that maybe I am missing a step. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If you had it plugged into SATA power and it wouldn't open at all, then either the drive is bad or the SATA power cable is bad. If you tested multiple SATA power cables and still no go, then normally I'd say it's the drive and tell you to RMA it.

However, there is also the matter of the non-working SSD. If you tested that on all the different cables and also on the different connectors on each cable, then either you got very very unlucky with two bad drives ... or the power supply is bad.

Did the power supply (or mainboard, or case) happen to come with any molex-to-SATA-power adapters?

One thing I noticed: All of the SATA connectors are on +12v rail #2. There might possibly be something wrong with that rail.

greeneyedtiger

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
I do have a Molex-SATA adapter, and when I used it on to try to power the ODD with a Molex power cord it still didn't work. It sounds like the PSU may be the culprit. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case since I just bought it to replace a defective Antec BP550. :??:

Roto36

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I have P8P67 Pro Rev3 with Crucial M4 SSD. Mobo doesn't reconize it either. I disconnected all other Sata components such as 1TB hard drive, optical drive and front sata port. Then booted and loaded Windows7 CD, low and behold it found it and installed OS because it had no other place to go. Stay away from connecting your drive to the navy blue sata port as it's meant for two hd's in raid. I'm also getting two dual post at start up.

After running for awhile to make sure things are working ok, I tried reconnecting other drives. The bios still doesn't see the SSD.

The odd thing is that my bios recognizes my 1tb hd but in will not show up in windows.

I have many answers to hunt down, from all my research it starting to sound like Asus needs to tweak the bois a bit more.

greeneyedtiger

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Roto36,

I also had issues with double POSTing. In addition, the computer would not wake after being put to sleep, and both seem to be common problems with the Asus P8P67 line. After some googling I changed the following BIOS settings and both problems went away:

Go to Advanced Mode in the BIOS
1) AI Tweaker- Internal PLL OV - Disable
2) Advanced - System Agent Configuration - Initiate Graphic Adapter - PCI/PEG

My Cruicial C300 SSD was not being recognized too. I returned it and got the M4 which was recognized immediately.

msdnuser2

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
i had same issue with asus p8p67 evo mobo. i spent four hours to get it to detect crusial c300 64gb ssd and st3100526sv (seagate) hd. update to new bios (1606) not help. i thought i have defective ssh and hd both to be defective is very unlikely. pulled a sata from another pc and the same issue so it must be this mobo.
a 5 minutes task that took half day to figure out what went wrong. it all came down to disable the asus stup1d logo splash screen. asus really p1ss3d me off.

G

Hi I have Asus P8P67 Evo
And I have a problem with HDDs. Build is with i7 2600K and 16 GB Ram, on 750W Corsair Power Supply.
I have 60GB SDD and 2 x 1TB HDD and Bluray LG drive. Recently what ever configuration of BIOS vs SATA cable connections I apply, it only recognizes SDD with system on it or sometimes, depending on mentioned above settings, it can see one of the HDD, but than looses BluRay. I have this build now around a year, it is so annoying. I have updated to latest BIOS and SDD firmware. It is the worst build I ever had. It takes 2 min to boot, with 3, sometimes even 5 bios "asus welcome" screens. Not to mention, that once, when I have this build running somehow with all HDDs and SDD, and have plugged (obviously turned off) 750 GB Hdd from my old build it crashed, and now I have S.M.A.R.T errors on that drive. The drive has no bad or relocated sectors, I have low level formatted it but I had to forget to instal MacOSx on it, which I intended to do. If I could go back in time, I would never buy that MB. I blame bloody Marvel SATA. I cannot believe that 750W power supply isn't enough for that build. Any thoughts?