WD green for my Main HD???

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi,

I think, I made a mistake I went Green. Do I stay with WD green for my Main HD or RMA it ???

I did not read this till tonight: Recommended use.

"WD Green hard drives are tested and recommended for use in PCs as Secondary storage, external enclosures and other applications that require cool and quiet operation."

Western Digital WD Green WD10EZRX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236070

This was my original choice:
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

I currently have this drive now for 4 years:
Western Digital WD Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Solution
SSD's are faster than any Hard Drive. Having it as your main OS drive will dramatically reduce boot times and increase the general speed of the computer.
The Green can be used as mass storage, where speed isn't really needed.

Depends on the drive if its 7200RPM and WD love to not tell you outright by saying intellipower or something. Its just a way of saying it varies between 5400RPM (which most Green drives run at) and a slower RPM when its not in use (and if its your OS drive, it will be in constant use).

Its possible to use more than one HDD/SSD in a computer, nowadays its advisable. An SSD is one of the easiest and most dramatic upgrades to a HDD only machine you can make.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y
This video is a...
Buy an SSD for your main drive and keep the Green as mass storage. Blazingly fast where it needs to be and slow where it doesn't matter.
Dont think you can RMA it anyway, thought that was only for defective products.

Also, there is no reason why you couldn't use the Green as your OS drive. Just not advisable as its quite slow.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hi,

Which is blazing fast/slow SSD or Green? I thought the Green was 7200RPM.

I only use 1 HD never 2...I use it for MMORPG gaming.

Green is in the Mail, might arrive Wed or Thur. Newegg will RMA it as a return.

Edit: I'm building an Spare parts computer, so any parts I need to order I buy for my main gaming rig and use the old parts for the new spare part rig, a project I now wish I nerver started. :(

SSD's are faster than any Hard Drive. Having it as your main OS drive will dramatically reduce boot times and increase the general speed of the computer.
The Green can be used as mass storage, where speed isn't really needed.

Depends on the drive if its 7200RPM and WD love to not tell you outright by saying intellipower or something. Its just a way of saying it varies between 5400RPM (which most Green drives run at) and a slower RPM when its not in use (and if its your OS drive, it will be in constant use).

Its possible to use more than one HDD/SSD in a computer, nowadays its advisable. An SSD is one of the easiest and most dramatic upgrades to a HDD only machine you can make.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y
This video is a bit old, SSD's have gotten even faster since then. And dramatically reduced in price, you can get a premium 128GB drive for ~$100 now.

Solution

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The Green drive will work just fine, its not as fast as blue or black models but is OK.
If you are looking for super fast speeds green is not going to give you what you need. Personally using one huge disk on your system is probably not the best idea, wether its green or black. Using a smaller sized faster disk for the system (ssd) and a larger for storage is safer and an all round better idea.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi,

I just spoke with Newegg, no restock fee will be applied. I will instruct the office here at my Apartment complex to refuse the delivery.

I have a dual boot setup now & I don't like it. The cost for a SSD is a bit much.

Thank you all for the help.