Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unreal Tournament Servers

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:04:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Howdy all,

I have recently been given a Linux Server that is running Red Hat 7.3 to
run. The server is located at a Data Center with multiple Fiber
Connections to the Internet Backbone.

The former admin has moved on to other games and left these two for
dead. At a first glance, both machines see outdated and something does
not feel right about the Unreal Tournament one, the other is UT2003.

216.39.194.203:7795 Unreal Tournament
216.39.194.203:7777 UT2003

I am looking for some guidance on the best way to upgrade these games.
I have ssh access to the server so I should be able to do anything that
does not need root privileges. My plans are to turn both of these into
Sniper Servers. I am thinking the main things I need to do is
update/patch both servers. I am then going to start making the other
changes slowly, one at a time.

Please take a look at them and give me some advise.

Thanks,

gorilla
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 5:33:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
news:40ec8f8e$0$17090$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com:

> The former admin has moved on to other games and left these two
> for dead. At a first glance, both machines see outdated and
> something does not feel right about the Unreal Tournament one,
> the other is UT2003.

I just tried the UT server and it was probably the best server
I've played on! Of course it was empty though!. It held the
steadiest ping between 260 and 285. It's deck 16 sudden death
with a 10 minute time limit. I didn't see anything in particular
wrong with it. weapon stay is not on. What exactly doesn't feel
right about it?

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 5:33:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Map Vote does not work and it does not rotate maps. I just started
making slow changes to it. I have updated the Admin stuff that everyone
sees and I added bots. I am just wanting to make it a fun Sniper
Server. I go to quite a few of them and I do not understand how some
people can shoot me even though I am behind a wall in the dark. It
could be just me.

I just noticed that if you hit F6 that you can get readings on the
server you are playing in real time. I have never read anyone talking
about that. Quite cool.

Thanks for looking at the server.

gorilla


JHall wrote:
> gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
> news:40ec8f8e$0$17090$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com:
>
>
>>The former admin has moved on to other games and left these two
>>for dead. At a first glance, both machines see outdated and
>>something does not feel right about the Unreal Tournament one,
>>the other is UT2003.
>
>
> I just tried the UT server and it was probably the best server
> I've played on! Of course it was empty though!. It held the
> steadiest ping between 260 and 285. It's deck 16 sudden death
> with a 10 minute time limit. I didn't see anything in particular
> wrong with it. weapon stay is not on. What exactly doesn't feel
> right about it?
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 2:04:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
news:40ecaeea$0$17088$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com:

> Map Vote does not work and it does not rotate maps. I just
> started making slow changes to it. I have updated the Admin
> stuff that everyone sees and I added bots. I am just wanting to
> make it a fun Sniper Server. I go to quite a few of them and I
> do not understand how some people can shoot me even though I am
> behind a wall in the dark. It could be just me.
>
> I just noticed that if you hit F6 that you can get readings on
> the server you are playing in real time. I have never read
> anyone talking about that. Quite cool.

Well...yeah! by default F6 is the Stat Net button there is also
F2=ShowServerInfo. There is also some info about the server such
as ping and time remaining if you hit F1 to show scores!. I didn't
see any bots last night when I tried the server, have you added them
since? I will try it again here in a few minutes. :-)

> Thanks for looking at the server.

Your welcome but I'm defintely not an expert when it comes to playing
on servers but the server played wonderfully! I just have to wonder
how it would do with say....10 players? Would the ping go from 260
to 800 or more in that event? I'm probably getting packet loss a lot
sooner but I don't really start to notice it until the ping gets over
400. After that I will turn a corner, run about halfway down a hall,
then BAM!, all of the sudden I'm back where I was before I made the
turn around the corner wondering "What the heck"!.


--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 2:04:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:04:24 +0000, JHall wrote:

<snip all>

Butting in, Am I the only one getting a RocketArenaMultiMesh mismatch?
Is this server running RA? If not could it be removed from the "server
packages" list?

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
July 8, 2004 4:13:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

gorilla enlightened us with:
> I am looking for some guidance on the best way to upgrade these games.

A very annoying point: the UT server doesn't redirect the downloads to
a webserver. That means that all downloads are capped to a very
limited bandwidth as to not to disturb playing players. It took ages
to download that mapvote thing, which is not even 300 KiB. Set up HTTP
redirection, and it'll be downloaded in a jiffy.

I didn't try the UT2003 server because I kicked that game off my
computer prior to installing UT2k4. Perhaps you want to "upgrade" your
server too? UT2k4 is a lot cooler and players better IMO.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:13:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

I have the option of installing UT2K4 if I want on this machine.

The machine specs are a Dual PIII 1.0G, 2 gigs of ram, and limited hard
drive space.

gorilla


MeltDown wrote:

> gorilla enlightened us with:
>
>>I am looking for some guidance on the best way to upgrade these games.
>
>
> A very annoying point: the UT server doesn't redirect the downloads to
> a webserver. That means that all downloads are capped to a very
> limited bandwidth as to not to disturb playing players. It took ages
> to download that mapvote thing, which is not even 300 KiB. Set up HTTP
> redirection, and it'll be downloaded in a jiffy.
>
> I didn't try the UT2003 server because I kicked that game off my
> computer prior to installing UT2k4. Perhaps you want to "upgrade" your
> server too? UT2k4 is a lot cooler and players better IMO.
>
> MeltDown
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:22:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me butting in, but I was thinking of
setting up a dedicated UT/UT2004 server for my friends and I.

What are the minimum playable PC hardware specs I should
be thinking of for the server?

I know that graphics performance is not really an issue
and I want to keep cost to a minimum.

I would probably use Windows XP-Pro as the OS.

I already have ADSL (256kbs up, 512kbs down) through a
Netgear router and a Wireless 802.11b LAN.

Regards,
Paul

JHall wrote:

> gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
> news:40ecaeea$0$17088$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com:
>
>
>>Map Vote does not work and it does not rotate maps. I just
>>started making slow changes to it. I have updated the Admin
>>stuff that everyone sees and I added bots. I am just wanting to
>>make it a fun Sniper Server. I go to quite a few of them and I
>>do not understand how some people can shoot me even though I am
>>behind a wall in the dark. It could be just me.
>>
>>I just noticed that if you hit F6 that you can get readings on
>>the server you are playing in real time. I have never read
>>anyone talking about that. Quite cool.
>
>
> Well...yeah! by default F6 is the Stat Net button there is also
> F2=ShowServerInfo. There is also some info about the server such
> as ping and time remaining if you hit F1 to show scores!. I didn't
> see any bots last night when I tried the server, have you added them
> since? I will try it again here in a few minutes. :-)
>
>
>>Thanks for looking at the server.
>
>
> Your welcome but I'm defintely not an expert when it comes to playing
> on servers but the server played wonderfully! I just have to wonder
> how it would do with say....10 players? Would the ping go from 260
> to 800 or more in that event? I'm probably getting packet loss a lot
> sooner but I don't really start to notice it until the ping gets over
> 400. After that I will turn a corner, run about halfway down a hall,
> then BAM!, all of the sudden I'm back where I was before I made the
> turn around the corner wondering "What the heck"!.
>
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:22:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

If you go to the Unreal Tournament main website, it will give you the
minimum specs needed to host a server.




Operating System: Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP
Processor: Pentium® III or AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz processor or faster (1.5
GHz or faster processor recommended)
Memory: 128 MB RAM minimum (256 MB recommended)
Hard Disk Space: 5.5 GB free
Video: Any Windows-compatible video card(NVIDIA GeForce 2 or ATI Radeon
with at least 64 megs of video memory recommended)
Sound: Windows®-compatible sound card. NVIDIA® nForce(tm) or other
motherboards/soundcards containing the Dolby® Digital Interactive
Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio
DirectX®: DirectX® version 8.1(included)or higher
Multiplayer: Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP)play supported | 33.6K
baud modem or broadband Internet connection recommended

This was found on the website
http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/specs.php

gorilla



Paul Williams wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hope you don't mind me butting in, but I was thinking of
> setting up a dedicated UT/UT2004 server for my friends and I.
>
> What are the minimum playable PC hardware specs I should
> be thinking of for the server?
>
> I know that graphics performance is not really an issue
> and I want to keep cost to a minimum.
>
> I would probably use Windows XP-Pro as the OS.
>
> I already have ADSL (256kbs up, 512kbs down) through a
> Netgear router and a Wireless 802.11b LAN.
>
> Regards,
> Paul
>
> JHall wrote:
>
>> gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
>> news:40ecaeea$0$17088$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com:
>>
>>
>>> Map Vote does not work and it does not rotate maps. I just
>>> started making slow changes to it. I have updated the Admin
>>> stuff that everyone sees and I added bots. I am just wanting to
>>> make it a fun Sniper Server. I go to quite a few of them and I
>>> do not understand how some people can shoot me even though I am
>>> behind a wall in the dark. It could be just me.
>>> I just noticed that if you hit F6 that you can get readings on
>>> the server you are playing in real time. I have never read
>>> anyone talking about that. Quite cool.
>>
>>
>>
>> Well...yeah! by default F6 is the Stat Net button there is also
>> F2=ShowServerInfo. There is also some info about the server such
>> as ping and time remaining if you hit F1 to show scores!. I didn't
>> see any bots last night when I tried the server, have you added them
>> since? I will try it again here in a few minutes. :-)
>>
>>
>>> Thanks for looking at the server.
>>
>>
>>
>> Your welcome but I'm defintely not an expert when it comes to playing
>> on servers but the server played wonderfully! I just have to wonder
>> how it would do with say....10 players? Would the ping go from 260
>> to 800 or more in that event? I'm probably getting packet loss a lot
>> sooner but I don't really start to notice it until the ping gets over
>> 400. After that I will turn a corner, run about halfway down a hall,
>> then BAM!, all of the sudden I'm back where I was before I made the
>> turn around the corner wondering "What the heck"!.
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:35:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

{AGUT}DeadMan <oldman1961@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
news:p an.2004.07.08.12.08.56.349335@hotmail.com:

> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:04:24 +0000, JHall wrote:
>
> <snip all>
>
> Butting in, Am I the only one getting a RocketArenaMultiMesh
> mismatch? Is this server running RA? If not could it be removed
> from the "server packages" list?

I thought that was funny too come to think of it. I downloaded
the RocketArenaMultiMesh, RocketArena, and RocketArenaMedia last
night but I didn't get any version mismatches!. You may have
downloaded them from a Windows server and this is a Linux server
so that could be causing the mismatch. I didn't have them to
begin with so I downloaded the correct version. It's funny that
this mutator is specified by the server as *required* otherwise
you wouldn't need to download it but the server doesn't use it!.
I think the ServerPackages lines need to be edited in the
UnrealTournament.ini file under the [Engine.GameEngine] section.
Just delete the un-needed packages and save the file!.


--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:35:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:35:27 +0000, JHall wrote:

> {AGUT}DeadMan <oldman1961@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
> news:p an.2004.07.08.12.08.56.349335@hotmail.com:
>
>> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:04:24 +0000, JHall wrote:
>>
>> <snip all>
>>
>> Butting in, Am I the only one getting a RocketArenaMultiMesh mismatch?
>> Is this server running RA? If not could it be removed from the "server
>> packages" list?
>
> I thought that was funny too come to think of it. I downloaded the
> RocketArenaMultiMesh, RocketArena, and RocketArenaMedia last night but I
> didn't get any version mismatches!. You may have downloaded them from a
> Windows server and this is a Linux server so that could be causing the
> mismatch. I didn't have them to begin with so I downloaded the correct
> version. It's funny that this mutator is specified by the server as
> *required* otherwise you wouldn't need to download it but the server
> doesn't use it!. I think the ServerPackages lines need to be edited in the
> UnrealTournament.ini file under the [Engine.GameEngine] section. Just
> delete the un-needed packages and save the file!.

No, the file I have is the one that was installed from the cd. I'm
wondering if the server has a modded version. It's a linux install so I'm
not sure what's going on. I like your idea of commenting out unneeded
lines, though.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:41:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with
news:b7745ef98a38587e733df957896ce5bf@news.teranews.com:

> I think the ServerPackages lines need to be edited in the
> UnrealTournament.ini file under the [Engine.GameEngine] section.
> Just delete the un-needed packages and save the file!.

Sorry for tagging on my own post here, but I forgot to mention that
it's always safer just to put a semicolon before a line in an .ini
file, rather than deleting the whole line in case something goes
terribly wrong, you can just take the semicolon out, and be back
where you started!.

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
July 8, 2004 6:40:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

{AGUT}DeadMan enlightened us with:
> Butting in, Am I the only one getting a RocketArenaMultiMesh mismatch?

I don't know - I disconnected once I found the downloads to take too
long.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
with news:slrnceqgb9.coq.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

> I don't know - I disconnected once I found the downloads to take
> too long.

Wow! that's strange! Actually I was getting ready to say the
opposite, that the downloads were a snap for me!. The downloads
went faster for me than any other server I played on!. I agree
with what you said earlier Melt about setting up redirection so
that the servers bandwidth wouldn't be eaten up by people
downloading server packages. Also DeadMan was right about taking
out any non-nessasary packages and avoid downloading anything not
used by the server altogether.

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Thanks for all of the input.

I started messing around with stuff last night, I only broke it a couple
of times. ;-)

I am modifying the files in the

/unreal/.loki/ut/System
7795.ini

There is also a server.ini file here, should I also update it? What
about the 7795.ini & UnrealTournament.ini files back in /unreal/System?
I will work on the server redirect after I get the sniper server up
and going, like JHall said, I get great downloads from the machine. The
machine is located in Houston for those wondering where it is.

Thanks again.

gorilla

JHall wrote:
> MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
> with news:slrnceqgb9.coq.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:
>
>
>>I don't know - I disconnected once I found the downloads to take
>>too long.
>
>
> Wow! that's strange! Actually I was getting ready to say the
> opposite, that the downloads were a snap for me!. The downloads
> went faster for me than any other server I played on!. I agree
> with what you said earlier Melt about setting up redirection so
> that the servers bandwidth wouldn't be eaten up by people
> downloading server packages. Also DeadMan was right about taking
> out any non-nessasary packages and avoid downloading anything not
> used by the server altogether.
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:41:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

fragging gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
news:40ed468f$0$17093$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com:

> I will work on the server redirect after I get the sniper server
> up and going, like JHall said, I get great downloads from the
> machine.

Yes I agree that the download went very fast but it was just me by
myself downloading last night. How would it be if say...10 people
were downloading the same thing at the same time? Slllllooooooowww!

> The machine is located in Houston for those wondering
> where it is.

Ah! that explains the great steady pings I'm getting! Not really
the *best* pings I've ever had but definitely steadier! I'm in
Tennessee. A steady ping IMO can mean a lot especially if it's not
a low ping!. When you get around 350 to 400 ping that's where
steadyness will shine by not letting the ping get any higher.
Download redirection would help steadyness!.

> Thanks again.
>
> gorilla

You're welcome again! Hey you might think about letting this
newsgroup hold a fragfest on your server and try it out with
say... 10 or 12 people when you get it running the way you want?
No? :-) Sounds like an idea to me. LOL I put your server in my
favorites list!. :-)


--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:41:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:05:33 -0500, fragging gorilla wrote:

> I am modifying the files in the
>
> /unreal/.loki/ut/System
> 7795.ini
>
> There is also a server.ini file here, should I also update it? What
> about the 7795.ini & UnrealTournament.ini files back in /unreal/System?

I'd back up all the *.ini files to another directory before making any
more changes, just to be safe.

Commenting out the "ServerPackages=RocketArenaMultiMesh" line, as JHall
suggested would allow me to connect.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:41:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

That would be fine with me. I am talking with a guy about setting up
and older Quad Xeon 500Mhrz machine using FreeBSD. There will be a
second machine just for the redirect and to host the website.

What I am wanting to learn is how to be a good admin, while fragging my
buddies.

Thanks for the input,

gorilla


JHall wrote:
> fragging gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
> news:40ed468f$0$17093$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com:
>
>
>>I will work on the server redirect after I get the sniper server
>>up and going, like JHall said, I get great downloads from the
>>machine.
>
>
> Yes I agree that the download went very fast but it was just me by
> myself downloading last night. How would it be if say...10 people
> were downloading the same thing at the same time? Slllllooooooowww!
>
>
>>The machine is located in Houston for those wondering
>>where it is.
>
>
> Ah! that explains the great steady pings I'm getting! Not really
> the *best* pings I've ever had but definitely steadier! I'm in
> Tennessee. A steady ping IMO can mean a lot especially if it's not
> a low ping!. When you get around 350 to 400 ping that's where
> steadyness will shine by not letting the ping get any higher.
> Download redirection would help steadyness!.
>
>
>>Thanks again.
>>
>>gorilla
>
>
> You're welcome again! Hey you might think about letting this
> newsgroup hold a fragfest on your server and try it out with
> say... 10 or 12 people when you get it running the way you want?
> No? :-) Sounds like an idea to me. LOL I put your server in my
> favorites list!. :-)
>
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:41:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Done.

gorilla


{AGUT}DeadMan wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:05:33 -0500, fragging gorilla wrote:
>
>
>>I am modifying the files in the
>>
>>/unreal/.loki/ut/System
>>7795.ini
>>
>>There is also a server.ini file here, should I also update it? What
>>about the 7795.ini & UnrealTournament.ini files back in /unreal/System?
>
>
> I'd back up all the *.ini files to another directory before making any
> more changes, just to be safe.
>
> Commenting out the "ServerPackages=RocketArenaMultiMesh" line, as JHall
> suggested would allow me to connect.
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 7:40:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Hi gorilla,

OK cheers!

Paul

fragging gorilla wrote:

> If you go to the Unreal Tournament main website, it will give you the
> minimum specs needed to host a server.
>
>
>
>>
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 7:41:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

{AGUT}DeadMan <oldman1961@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
news:p an.2004.07.08.14.18.52.232203@hotmail.com:

> Commenting out the "ServerPackages=RocketArenaMultiMesh" line,
> as JHall suggested would allow me to connect.

Well...not to say that you don't have an option here too DeadMan!.
You could also move your copy of RocketArenaMultiMesh.u and the
..int file if there is one to another directory then you would
just download the servers version of the file like you never
even had it and you could still connect. :-) I tried the
server out a little while ago again and it's a lot different
now than it was last night. There is map rotation going on
now and there are bots. The bots fragged my puny ass though!.
:-( I fragged a few of them too...umm...and I also accidentaly
killed one of my own team mates since it's set on Team Death Match!
Ouch!

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 10:51:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
news:40ed53bd$0$17092$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com:

> What I am wanting to learn is how to be a good admin, while
> fragging my buddies.

This is something you will have to learn for yourself! Try
something, and if it causes big problems, try something else. One
of the biggest decisions you may be faced with in the future will
probably be something like "Do I ban his ass permanently, just for
a little while, or not at all?". I know if I were an admin, and
someone was doing something obnoxious, I would ask them nicely to
stop only one time, then kickban him for 30 days after that. If
he came back after 30 days and started being obnoxious again I
would ban him forever!.

Good luck Gorilla! I'm having fun playing on your server! :-)
My name is {AGUT}JHall if you see me on there. I'm usually
the one laying on the ground dead or in little gibblets!. :) 


--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
July 9, 2004 1:05:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

gorilla wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I have recently been given a Linux Server that is running Red Hat 7.3 to
> run. The server is located at a Data Center with multiple Fiber
> Connections to the Internet Backbone.
>
> The former admin has moved on to other games and left these two for
> dead. At a first glance, both machines see outdated and something does
> not feel right about the Unreal Tournament one, the other is UT2003.
>
> 216.39.194.203:7795 Unreal Tournament
> 216.39.194.203:7777 UT2003
>
> I am looking for some guidance on the best way to upgrade these games. I
> have ssh access to the server so I should be able to do anything that
> does not need root privileges. My plans are to turn both of these into
> Sniper Servers. I am thinking the main things I need to do is
> update/patch both servers. I am then going to start making the other
> changes slowly, one at a time.
>
> Please take a look at them and give me some advise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> gorilla


Plays OK for me, 180 ish ping which is OK considering those poor
electrons are having to commute over to Europe. :-)

Drew.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 1:05:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

180 in Europe? I have trouble keeping that here on my ISDN in the same
county.

Thanks,

gorilla

drew wrote:
> gorilla wrote:
>
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> I have recently been given a Linux Server that is running Red Hat 7.3
>> to run. The server is located at a Data Center with multiple Fiber
>> Connections to the Internet Backbone.
>>
>> The former admin has moved on to other games and left these two for
>> dead. At a first glance, both machines see outdated and something
>> does not feel right about the Unreal Tournament one, the other is UT2003.
>>
>> 216.39.194.203:7795 Unreal Tournament
>> 216.39.194.203:7777 UT2003
>>
>> I am looking for some guidance on the best way to upgrade these games.
>> I have ssh access to the server so I should be able to do anything
>> that does not need root privileges. My plans are to turn both of
>> these into Sniper Servers. I am thinking the main things I need to do
>> is update/patch both servers. I am then going to start making the
>> other changes slowly, one at a time.
>>
>> Please take a look at them and give me some advise.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> gorilla
>
>
>
> Plays OK for me, 180 ish ping which is OK considering those poor
> electrons are having to commute over to Europe. :-)
>
> Drew.
>
July 9, 2004 12:48:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

fragging gorilla enlightened us with:
> There is also a server.ini file here, should I also update it?

It all depends on which .ini file the server uses. You can make it use
any file you want with the commandline options you use to start it.

> What about the 7795.ini & UnrealTournament.ini files back in
> /unreal/System?

Unless the server is started with the -nohomedir option, those are
ignored. If a file exists both in ~/.loki/ut and /unreal, then the one
in ~/.loki/ut is used.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:16:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

{AGUT}DeadMan <oldman1961@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
news:p an.2004.07.08.14.11.47.263070@hotmail.com:

> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:35:27 +0000, JHall wrote:

[Snip]

>> I thought that was funny too come to think of it. I downloaded
>> the RocketArenaMultiMesh, RocketArena, and RocketArenaMedia
>> last night but I didn't get any version mismatches!. You may
>> have downloaded them from a Windows server and this is a Linux
>> server so that could be causing the mismatch. I didn't have
>> them to begin with so I downloaded the correct version. It's
>> funny that this mutator is specified by the server as
>> *required* otherwise you wouldn't need to download it but the
>> server doesn't use it!. I think the ServerPackages lines need
>> to be edited in the UnrealTournament.ini file under the
>> [Engine.GameEngine] section. Just delete the un-needed packages
>> and save the file!.
>
> No, the file I have is the one that was installed from the cd.
> I'm wondering if the server has a modded version. It's a linux
> install so I'm not sure what's going on. I like your idea of
> commenting out unneeded lines, though.

Sorry for replying to this after this thread has gotten old but I
just found out something. After you said that you had the rocket
arena installed from the CD I checked my install and it never
heard of the rocket arena (not even on my CD's for the game) and I
found on the Atari support site the differences between UTgoty and
the regular UT. It seems this is one of the differences between
the two games. UTgoty has the enhanced rocket arenas but the
older regularversion of UT does not. I thought I might have had
a screwed up set of disks for the game but now I'm thinking you
have UTgoty. :-)

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!