Asus P8P67 pro or Gigabyte Z68?

i am in the process of building a new rig very soon and im narrowing a few things down, i came across the new Gigabyte z68 boards and i was wondering what ones are better and what you guys recommended for my build. Either the P8P67 PRO or the Z68S models?

Current Build

-Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

-EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024MB GDDR5 (01G-P3-1561-AR) nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Chipset 1GB DDR5 Dual Display DVI-I/Mini-HDMI PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

-CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

-Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000GB (1TB) SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache

-PSU Corsair HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX EPS12V Power Supply

-SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-/+R 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L/RSBP LightScribe Support (Retail)

-Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window and Black Interior
7 answers Last reply
More about asus p8p67 gigabyte
  1. I used to have an asus board, then I bought a real motherboard. I was tired of screwing around all the time, trying to get the asus to work right.
    I was really impressed with my gigabyte board, it is made surprisingly better than an asus board. Intel also makes good boards.
    Spend a little more for a good board, you will be glad latter on.
    But let me give you one tip about these systems that can really help your build:
    Install the operating system on a small hard drive. This will be the dedicated OS drive. The only things that are loaded onto this drive are your programs.
    Use your 1 TB drive for files only. Keep the operating system on a separate drive from the files.
    The OS drive will be C drive, set this OS drive to boot first in the bios settings....
    The favorite drive for OS only is the WD veociraptor 70 GB SATA. It costs about $80 for a new one on e bay.
    A 1 TB drive is very slow. By using the fast drive for your OS and programs, you will optimize your system.
  2. ok thanks for the advice btw what gigabyte board do you got?
  3. I would suggest a Gigabyte Z68 UD5 board. It's the one I would choose if I was buying right now.

Regarding the unsolicited tip from soundguruman:
    Yes, that kind of setup would result in a small speed boost. However, unless the small drive used for the OS and your most-used programs is an SSD, the performance boost isn't worth the hassle.

A 1TB drive isn't "very slow" compared to any other 7,200RPM drive -- they're actually quite fast. Compared to a 10,000RPM drive like the VelociRaptor they are a bit slow, but then so is any other 7,200RPM drive. SSDs make VelociRaptor seem as slow as Grandma crossing the street with her walker.
  4. thanks Leaps-from-Shadows, i think im going to go with the Z68 UD4 board the UD5 is a little out of my price range its just as good, as for the HDs im going to still stick with the 1tb and eventually get a SSD for my O.S and games
  5. The UD5 is worth the extra money
  6. If anyone at Tom's was negative towards Gigabyte it indeed was 'me,' they made horrible X58/P55 & many AM3 MOBOs with only a few exceptions e.g. UD9. It seemed like every other friggin post was a bad this or that component on GA's, I lost count how many RMA's. Then with the initial re-release of P67 B3 there were bad batches of GA P67 UD3, UD4 & UD5.

On the other hand ASUS & EVGA made terrific MOBOs all the way up to the release of P67.

Now and for about the past 2~3 months I fell like I'm in the 'anti-universe' with ASUS, it's literally the mirror image, with bad ASUS P67/Z68 MOBO's. WTH??!! ASUS needs to get their act together pronto!

Therefore, about the lowest end P67/Z68 Gigabyte's to buy are the UD5 series. Also, ASRock, oddly - it's owned by ASUS, also currently are a very good and reliable choice; perhaps the lack of BT or other 'doodads' sub-components who knows? I really wish EVGA was more aggressive with their LGA 1155's, but I would recommend those for 'Gamers.'
  7. Hi guy's I think you better and see the PPBM5 results :

http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html

For your choice concerning P67 or Z68 :

The PPBM5 benchmark result seems to show that all being equal (16Go RAM, processor I7 2600K, same OS...)

the P67 EVO obtain a better score than the Z68 !!!

So in my point of view ASUS P8P67 EVO is a very good choice !!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product