Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trim on non OS SSD?

Last response: in Storage
October 8, 2012 11:56:57 AM

So I know that Trim is enabled on my OS SSD because I checked through the command prompt with the disabledeletenotify dialogue.

I just purchased a second SSD though for a games drive and am wondering if there is a way to activate Trim for it, or if it would even be necessary to do so?

More about : trim ssd

a b G Storage
October 8, 2012 12:21:28 PM

I'm pretty sure that on win7 the ssd is recognised and the trim is turned on by the OS..
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
October 8, 2012 2:01:33 PM

Here in lies the problem, you can verify that trim is enabled and you know if your driver is capabable of passing trim (ie msahci or iastor, or several other - NOT pcide). However there is NO means of verifing that it is working outside of overloading it and then see if trim returns to optimium. You just accept that it is working.

As all My system have a second SSD installed and and I've not had a problem (ie slow down)., I'd say yes it is passed. Note - The only qualifiers are a OS that can send trim and a chipset driver that will pass trim - NO requirement for it to be a OS drive.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 8, 2012 3:35:35 PM

Cuzzin Chizzy said:
So I know that Trim is enabled on my OS SSD because I checked through the command prompt with the disabledeletenotify dialogue.

I just purchased a second SSD though for a games drive and am wondering if there is a way to activate Trim for it, or if it would even be necessary to do so?

Right from:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/ssd-tweaks-to-incr...

Make sure TRIM support is enabled

You probably know that when you delete files, they don’t get deleted immediately. The files stay where they are, but their index is changed so that the space they occupy is marked as free. When you write new files to the disk, the whole block of data gets scrubbed for the new files to be saved. This technology works well for HDDs. But SSDs store and overwrite data in a different way. Therefore, it’s best for the SSD to use TRIM command and scrub deleted files rather than perform an entire block erase when new data is written to the disk. TRIM command allows your operating system to inform your SSD drive which blocks of data are not in use anymore and can be wiped. Basically, TRIM helps to avoid write performance degradation thanks to the way it handles deletes and writes.

Windows 7 supports TRIM out of the box, but it’s still good to make sure TRIM support is enabled. Here is how you can do it:

Launch the elevated command prompt by clicking on Start, typing cmd.exe in the Search box and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter
In the command prompt window, type fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 means that TRIM is enabled and DisableDeleteNotify = 1 means that it’s disabled.
m
l
October 9, 2012 5:55:03 PM

ahnilated said:
Right from:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/ssd-tweaks-to-incr...

Make sure TRIM support is enabled

You probably know that when you delete files, they don’t get deleted immediately. The files stay where they are, but their index is changed so that the space they occupy is marked as free. When you write new files to the disk, the whole block of data gets scrubbed for the new files to be saved. This technology works well for HDDs. But SSDs store and overwrite data in a different way. Therefore, it’s best for the SSD to use TRIM command and scrub deleted files rather than perform an entire block erase when new data is written to the disk. TRIM command allows your operating system to inform your SSD drive which blocks of data are not in use anymore and can be wiped. Basically, TRIM helps to avoid write performance degradation thanks to the way it handles deletes and writes.

Windows 7 supports TRIM out of the box, but it’s still good to make sure TRIM support is enabled. Here is how you can do it:

Launch the elevated command prompt by clicking on Start, typing cmd.exe in the Search box and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter
In the command prompt window, type fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 means that TRIM is enabled and DisableDeleteNotify = 1 means that it’s disabled.

I checked for this already and DisableDeleteNotify = 0. But does TRIM get enabled automatically for all SSD drives hooked up to the computer, or just the OS drive?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 9, 2012 6:21:30 PM

It should be for all SSD's.
m
l
October 12, 2012 11:17:06 PM

Best answer selected by Cuzzin Chizzy.
m
l
!