ultimatepc3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hey,
I want to buy myself an SSD and have been saving for the Crucial C300 128GB SSD. I almost have full amount for it but now one of my friends pitched the idea, why not buy the G.SKILL PHOENIX 120GB SSD. I went and look at prices and the Phoenix will cost 27% cheaper than the Crucial. My question is thus, for which SSD should I go for? Will the crucial give me 27% more performance? I only want to buy an SSD once, so should I go for the higher performance drive anyway? (I will use the SSD as my boot drive) Is there may be other SDD’s coming out in the near future or near future price drops that I have to consider.
(I did consider the OCZ RevoDrive but don’t think the price hike is worth the small performance increase)

Thanks in advance.

System Specs:
-AMD 1090T X6 CPU,
-ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Motherboard
-2 x 4GB DDR3-2000MHz G.SKILL FLARE RAM,
-850W Corsair HX PSU,
-ATI Radeon 4870 1GB Graphics Card
-2TB HDD etc.

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I'd hold on a little bit longer if you can manage it. Intel will be releasing their 3rd generation SSDs soon (sometime in Q4 2010). You might want to see what the performance and pricing on those will be like.

At the very least it should drive down the cost of other SSDs.

If you can't wait then I suggest looking at the benchmarks and comparing both. Different benchmarks will be more relevant to you depending on what the primary use of your system is (Gaming vs. File Server etc...). Tom's has quite a few articles on SSDs and I know Anandtech recently added a bunch of benchmarks in their "Bench" section. Also, what kind of Mobo are you using? The Crucial C300's claim to fame is that it uses the new SATA 6.0 Gb/s. If you're Mobo doesn't support SATA 6.0 it'll still work but at a reduced (SATA 3.0 Gb/s) speed.

Although, come to think of it, I have yet to see a benchmark with the C300 on SATA 3 vs. SATA 6. Having SATA 6 capacity might just be a bunch of marketing BS...

But to reiterate, my advice is to wait.

Cheers

If the drive is not capable of anything faster than 3 Gbits/s (that's 375 MB/s), then there will be zero difference between the two interfaces.