Sign in with
Your question

What to upgrade first

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 27, 2010 9:47:49 PM

Hello!

I'm deciding which components I should upgrade first and can't really decide on my own so here goes... I have an Athlon 2 X4 620 oc'd to 3.0 with 4gb ocz gold ddr2 and a Radeon 4870 (512mb version). I'm wanting to play FFXIV. It runs fine at ... default... settings but I'd like to push it a bit. My computer benchmarks the game at 3400 which for that game is good performance with "some" settings turned up. I have been looking at either purchasing a new CPU (1055t or 965 phenoms) OR grabbing a gtx 460 768 mb. I can't decide which I think is going to make a larger difference at this stage of the game. I can do one or the other but not both. Case space is an issue because I'm using a shuttle case on this rig and do not want to buy another case (this one fits in our entertainment center and we use the 55" DLP tv as a monitor) . One thing pushing me towards the video card is that I have a phenm 9850 BE downstairs currently using a geforce 7900 gts and I can put my 4870 down there. I also have a 4870 x2 with the master gpu burned out that may be a viable crossfire solution when I put it back together. What do you guys think?

More about : upgrade

a b à CPUs
September 27, 2010 10:03:51 PM

turn down your settings from 1080p to 720p
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2010 10:38:35 PM

If you can I would just add another 4870 to run in Crossfire. If you can't then a 460 1GB would be the way to go. Overclock the 460 and your CPU some more and that should provide the improvement your looking for.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2010 3:01:40 AM

@malmental -- thank for the head up. The spammer had dumped 47 totally irrelevant ads into various parts of the forum, clogging up the system. This case, banned for 47 weeks. But he'll be back again sooner under a different name and we'll just ban him again. Please keep calling them in, it is appreciated by the Moderator team.
m
l
!