Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking for a replacement laptop for my graduate student son,
want something that is reliable and with service when it is not.
Tasks are email, web surfing, word processing, watching movies and
lsitening to music.

I see some refurbed/used T40 for around $1000, pretty well loaded. I
know that lesser brands will give me a bit more for that price, but
reliability and service are key.

Any comments, BTDTs?

Thanks,

stuart Friedman
East Montpelier, VT

Have a T40,

Perfect* for all those things you mention, highly recommended.

Duncan.
*In an ideal world a 17" widescreen with flexview would be perfect, but 14"
is o.k. for a few people - the screen is very bright, contrasty and sharp.

"stuart friedman" <shrinkwrap86@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for a replacement laptop for my graduate student son,
> want something that is reliable and with service when it is not.
> Tasks are email, web surfing, word processing, watching movies and
> lsitening to music.
>
> I see some refurbed/used T40 for around $1000, pretty well loaded. I
> know that lesser brands will give me a bit more for that price, but
> reliability and service are key.
>
> Any comments, BTDTs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> stuart Friedman
> East Montpelier, VT

For your budget, you have a winner. I got a R40 six months ago, introduced
18 months ago. $1200, 1.3 512k 35 gb, 3 year IBM factory warranty.

If you budget includes a flexview screen, highly recommended. That's a
t41p. You're in double the price range (at least).

"Duncan J Murray" <duncan.murray@remove.this.bit.medical-school.and.this.bit.oxford.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cnnvtd$pvn$1@news.ox.ac.uk>...
> The T40 came with an Li-ion, and from what I've heard, these batteries die
> within 2/3 years no matter what. They cost around £130 (I think) to
> replace, so this might be a factor if your son needs a battery.

My camcorder has Li-ion battery, haven't died in the last 7 yrs.

Since you mention the IBM T series has this type of battery, who else
have it?
One plus for the IBM is they have very good keyboards. I can't try
them out since sell their laptop direct.

"Duncan J Murray" <duncan.murray@remove.this.bit.medical-school.and.this.bit.oxford.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cnnvtd$pvn$1@news.ox.ac.uk>...
> The T40 came with an Li-ion, and from what I've heard, these batteries die
> within 2/3 years no matter what. They cost around £130 (I think) to
> replace, so this might be a factor if your son needs a battery.

My camcorder has Li-ion battery, haven't died in the last 7 yrs.

Since you mention the IBM T series has this type of battery, who else have it?
One plus for the IBM is they have very good keyboards.

T40's are great. I use mine in a school environment (screen gets
closed, machine on/off and keyboard used - every 54 minutes) and i've
had it for a year. The're great machines. If you can physically choose
a laptop, get one without a dead pixel, if you want to use it for Word
and Movies.

Other than that, the T40 battery is quickly drained whilst watching
movies.