Solved

Trouble getting win7 to see vista shared files

Okay guys, I want to do something cool here. Where I live we have

1 router
1 vista laptop
1 win7 desktop
2 ps3's

What I would like to do: I want all systems to be able to view pictures, videos within shared folders.

What I have accomplished: The ps3's are able to connect to the files on my windows 7 machine and the setup was quite simple.

What I am having trouble with: I do not know how to get the vista laptop to connect to the win7 desktop and vice versa. I'd like to have it set so these two computers can view each others shared files.

What must I do?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about trouble win7 vista shared files
  1. Anybody out there?
  2. solidstategamer said:
    Okay guys, I want to do something cool here. Where I live we have

1 router
    1 vista laptop
    1 win7 desktop
    2 ps3's

What I would like to do: I want all systems to be able to view pictures, videos within shared folders.

What I have accomplished: The ps3's are able to connect to the files on my windows 7 machine and the setup was quite simple.

What I am having trouble with: I do not know how to get the vista laptop to connect to the win7 desktop and vice versa. I'd like to have it set so these two computers can view each others shared files.

What must I do?

ok what you want to do is share out a folder that has the pictures.. Right click on the folder and go to properties and go to sharing and security (do this for both machines that you want to share files from)

next

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings:

Turn on network discovery, (Do all this for both machines)
    Turn on file sharing and printer sharing (Do all this for both machines **optional)---> If you want to share out a printer
    I turned off public folders its up to you (Do all this for both machines) ---> this means anyone that connects to your network can access these files/folders i turn them off because i like to know what being shared

After thats all done

Go to one machine type in address bar the other PC machine name so for ex if you open my computer on the win7 machine were it says "my computer" type ---> \\vista-laptop then hit enter

(if you don't know your PC name right click on my computer and go to properties > look for computer name, domain and workgroup settings > if you click change settings you can change your computer name requires a reboot)

You should see the share folders You can then set this as map drive to have quick access to it
  3. also make sure the vista machine and the windows 7 machine are both part of the same domain for example workgroup, Mshome, etc. makes file sharing easier you can find this when you right click on my comp and go to properties
  4. Well the things is it keeps asking me for a username on the vista machine to access my win7 machine. I don't recall setting a username, although it is possible I have set one.

Normally are there usernames and passwords assigned by default? All I remember doing for win7 is allowing streaming and putting folders to be shared by anyone on the network - this got my ps3 to see it, but the vista wants a username and password while the ps3 does not.
  5. Best answer
    Under the network and sharing center advance sharing settings there's a password protect sharing turn that off
  6. Gotcha.
  7. solidstategamer said:
    Gotcha.

Did that work..?
  8. Yep thanks a ton.
  9. Best answer selected by solidstategamer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration PlayStation Connection Windows Vista Wireless Networking