Motherboard can't detect graphic card

G

Hey!

My graphic card simply stopped working about a year ago, and I've since then used the internal graphic card on the motherboard. I thought it was the graphic card that had stopped working after few years of gaming, but seems that was not the case. Recently I bought a new graphic card, and it too doesn't get detected by the motherboard.

The problem began when I one morning turned on the computer, and it was just pitch-black. The computer made lots of wierd alien noise and I had to shut it off.

There is nothing else wrong with neither the motherboard nor any other parts of the computer. Everything runs nice and smoothly, except for the issue I just presented.

So my question goes out to you, since I am a real noob when it comes to almost everything if it's not gaming: How can I solve this problem? Do I have to get a new motherboard or is there some other way around it?

My specs:
Windows 7 x84 (though I had Win XP x64 when the problem began)
2GM RAM
(Old graphic card:) Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX 512mb
AMD Athlon x64 X2 5000+
(Motherboard:) MSI Nash

I appreciate any help!

G

And then the only way to solve everything is by getting a new motherboard?

G

What would be the main difference between a newer motherboard compared to an older model for someone who for now just surfes the internet and watches movies? And is there any motherboard you would recommend me, having in mind that I just watch movies and listen a lot to music?

Thanks for the replies!

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
What would be the main difference between a newer motherboard compared to an older model for someone who for now just surfes the internet and watches movies? And is there any motherboard you would recommend me, having in mind that I just watch movies and listen a lot to music?

Thanks for the replies!
There is much to consider:
We don't know the exact problem; it could be the CPU or MB or both. Therefore, I assume you want to upgrade all components. It is convenient and dollar-wise to reuse the case when possible, but often the maker (HP) has proprietary front panel connections, making connection to a new MB nearly impossible without a schematic or experience. I am not familiar with yours - you would have to compare the FP header on yours to a new board if you know what to look for.
Also, I would not trust a PSU that old to anything new!

The advantages to upgrading are many: greatest is drastically lower electric consumption. For example, just upgrading my 3 year old PSU to a new Gold-rated one will recoup the cost of this expensive upgrade in just two years. I would be surprised if your PSU is over 70% efficient - meaning it's throwing away 30% of what it takes in. Add that up and a new system can pay for itself in just a few years. It's almost like getting a free computer.
Newer CPUs and RAM are much lower voltage and faster. A i3-2100 65w CPU @.98v ($125) would dwarf your 65w Athlon @1.35v in both speed and efficiency. Pair it with a H61 MB (don't need separate GPU)($75) and DDR3 RAM($40), and your power consumption would easily be cut in half with an 80+ rated PSU($40).
Complete the ensemble with a new case ($50) and copy of Windows 7 64-bit ($100), and you'd be good for years.