Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a possible sign of a bad GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2010 7:45:46 AM

Playing GTA4, in a certain part of the city, I noticed that when looking at the ground from a certain angle, a weird thin line appears. It is rendered under everything, and vehicles can drive over top of it and have it stay on the ground.
it's fixed by turning shadows off.

Running a Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X on 10.5 drivers.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that I ran 3dmark vantage, and then furmark for 5 or 10 mins, and didn't see any artifacting.

More about : sign bad gpu

a c 255 U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 8:06:57 AM

Sounds like a bug in the game to me. I have seen similar things in quite a few games. GTA4 was designed for consoles and the port to PC was not really great. Make sure you have all the patches.
m
l
June 18, 2010 8:11:15 AM

anort3 said:
Sounds like a bug in the game to me. I have seen similar things in quite a few games. GTA4 was designed for consoles and the port to PC was not really great. Make sure you have all the patches.

that's what I thought

Just for peace of mind though - if I were, say, experiencing a failing GPU, I would be seeing many issues, correct? And since a stretched line is generally a sign of vram issues, ti would be rendered over everything instead of uder everything right?

And shadows wouldn't affect it?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 255 U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 8:22:35 AM

Yes most likely. You would be getting errors in more than 1 area in the game as well. GTA4 has all kinds of issues. If the card did OK in 3d Mark it is probable fine. Try another game just to be sure.
June 18, 2010 10:19:28 AM

Best answer selected by spongeguar.
m
l
June 18, 2010 5:42:19 PM

This is a game/driver compatablity issue. If you are big into playing GTA IV, use Catalyst 10.3 or older.
m
l
June 18, 2010 7:09:44 PM

I'd that problem on very high shadows. Lowering it down to high fixed it.
m
l
June 21, 2010 10:32:37 AM

erocker said:
This is a game/driver compatablity issue. If you are big into playing GTA IV, use Catalyst 10.3 or older.

While I don't doubt this, and I'm no longer worried about the issue, would you possibly be able to state a source for this? I did some googling and found nothing.
m
l
!