How to manually update bios/chipset?

core-sample

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hey all,

I'm about to build my first system using this mobo: MSI P67A-G45 (B3)

When I boot for the first time after installing this MB, do I need to update the BIOS and chipset?

If so, what should I update, and in what order? I noticed that there are many options to choose from (msi website). I assume I just need the bios and chipset.

Not sure about using the live update (flash bios). Also, I don't think it supports Win 7 64 bit anyway.

So, basically, this is my first experience in building. I've updated bios/chipset for a Dell build when re-installing the OS, but that's it. It seemed to be simple using that Dell.

Any advice would be good--especially if you are familiar with this board and updating it.

Thanks~

-MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
-Intel i5 2500K
-Windows 7 pro 64

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Welcome to Tomshardware!
It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what to do, but just have the usual wedding-day jitters.
You need not update anything right away. Build the rig. Boot into BIOS and have a look around - make yourself familiar with what's there, leave BIOS and insert the drivers disc and install the drivers. Run it for awhile and learn about the updates process and see if you even need to.
I strongly recommend to new builders that they not do motherboard updates unless thee is a reason to do so; it is easy to create a problem where there isn't one.

core-sample

Distinguished
May 15, 2011

That's a good approach.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I think that noworldorder summed it up as far as the updates to your BIOS goes. If your board is a recent purchase chances are its already pretty close to the latest version. live update is fairly easy to use if you read up on it first. ***DANGER: BE VERY CAREFUL !!!***

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
^+1 Good point lowjack989. In fact, DON'T use Live Update. Update manually (if you even need to) for the experience. We get OPs in here all the time with corrupted BIOS' because so much can go wrong during the process.

core-sample

Distinguished
May 15, 2011

This link-
http://service.msicomputer.com/html/popup/techsup/formviewer.asp?esoformid=2905

-is what I'm looking at for now. Seems to be straight forward for this mobo. My only question (if I decide to do this right away) is, should I install the OS and the drivers/utilities that came with the mobo first? Or is it ok to just run the flash from the USB drive once I've booted up the first time, update the BIOS, restart, then install the OS?

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Nice easy directions from MSI. :)

Yes.
No.