Breadboarding for first time

joerter

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
When I turn on my newly built computer, I get no response what so ever except for the keyboard lights light up when I turn the PSU switch on.

So, I'm going to do some breadboarding for the first time, but I have some questions first.

1. I'm worried about ESD on the motherboard and other components. How do I prevent this? Should I rest the motherboard on the anti-static sleeve it came packaged in?

2. How do I get the system speaker? There is one attached to my case. Do I use that?

3. How do I turn the system on/off?

joerter

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Sorry here are my specs:

(All brand new ordered from Newegg.com)

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H

Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Optical drive: Samsung DVD burner

Case: Antec NSK 6582 Silver / Black 0.8 mm Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply

Thanks for any help

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
1) I would place the MOBO on the anti static bag it came in, and try to work in a area that has no carpet.

2) Yes take out the speaker and plug it in.

3) You can use a jumper to turn on/off the computer. Just touch the jumper to the power switch pins and the computer will start and touch to turn off. Unless you have a extra power switch you can plug in.

Frist I would take out all the RAM,GPU and unplug all drives and power on. If you get beeps you know that the board and the CPU are getting power and good. No Beeps could be bad PSU or MB.....Very rare bad CPU.

1Haplo

JSC wrote a breadboarding guide, you might want to read through it
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html

You can do it on any nonconductive surface, cardboard, wood, or an antistatic bag.

There is a link for a place to buy a small case speaker in our troubleshooting guide incase you cant get the one out of your case
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Turning it on is easy, find the pins that would be connected to the power button, and short them with a screw driver, this is all your power button does as it is just a simple momentary push button switch.