Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Slow booting with ASUS P67 Sabertooth B3

Last response: in Motherboards
May 16, 2011 5:37:20 AM

Recently put together my first build and there is a little trouble with it.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev 3.0
Antec p183 V3
Core i5 2500K
GSKILL Ripjaw series 2x 4gb Model #:F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb Model #:WD6401AALS
ASUS Model #:D RW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD burner
Corsair Model #:CMPSU-650HX
EVGA Geforce GT440 1024mb

With the exception of the power supply's sata power cables being oriented for a top mounted PSU, the build went pretty well. However I notice that the system hangs after determining there is no boot-able CD/DVD in the drive. I have installed Win7, Comodo antivirus, Office 2007, most of my games, Mozilla Firefox, and had no trouble with the system except for the length of its boot.

When the system is turned on, it goes through a screen showing the ASUS DVD drive, then arrives at the BIOS screen where it shows the ram and hard drive being detected. After the bios screen(American Microtrends I believe), it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Once on this screen, if there is a bootable CD/DVD in the drive, it will boot to that media in a matter of seconds. If there is no media in the drive, it will stay on this screen for more than three minutes and finally load into windows. Three minutes seems awfully long for what looks to be boot detection on the hard drive. I am wondering if it may be a sata issue, IDE vs AHCI issue(currently AHCI), or something wrong with the install/drive. I wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences or ideas before I go trying to revert to IDE from AHCI or reinstalling windows again.

Everything has installed very well and once windows is up and running, there is no issue. However 3+ minutes to boot is annoying at times.

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
May 16, 2011 8:04:07 AM

Both the hard drive and optical drive should be connected to the black SATA2 connectors.

In the BIOS, disable the JMicron and Marvell controllers. That might eliminate the long idle time during boot.
May 16, 2011 11:20:45 PM

Genius!

Starting from the bottom of the board, its black, black, brown, silver/white

DVD drive was plugged into white and hard drive into brown. I moved both to the black connections and hard drive starts in 1-2 seconds after the blinking cursor screen. 30 second boot time now instead of 4-5min.

Thanks. It would seem the brown port is partially defective or something else?
m
l
May 17, 2011 1:20:37 AM

Best answer selected by VJTB.
m
l
!