Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unlocking Phenom II and Athlon II

Last response: in CPUs
September 27, 2010 11:24:00 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums.

Just had a few questions about the end result of unlocked Phenom II and Athlon II.

Theoretically speaking, if the disabled cache/cores were to be unlocked and be fully stable, is there a difference between a Phenom II and an Athlon II (all other things equal, ie same clock speeds)?

I looked at this other site with this table: http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Unlocking_cores_and_L...

Not sure if I'm looking at it properly but from what I read, an Athlon II with Deneb base core has disabled cache/core that is pretty much equivalent to a Phenom II. Aside from the clock speeds and overclocking capability/stability, is an unlocked Athlon II a Phenom II with cache/core disabled?

ie Athlon II x3 440 unlocks into Phenom II x4 b40 with 4th core unlocked, and 6mb cache unlocked. So technically is this "equivalent" to a Phenom II x4?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 27, 2010 11:37:13 PM

Nope, if its stable then theres no difference.

But the chances of getting a Deneb-based Athlon II is close to zero, it was only the first shipments. All Athlons IIs made now are based of the L3-cache-less (Its physically missing) Propus cores.
September 29, 2010 5:19:48 AM

Best answer selected by stkr8a.
m
l
September 29, 2010 5:23:52 AM

I see. thanks :) 
m
l
!