Sign in with
Your question

Looking for opinion on manufacturer importance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2010 10:06:22 AM

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I was just wondering about the importance of buying between different graphics card manufacturers.

Are some more likely to fail than others? And if the price is the same, should you go for the better brand?

I am looking for a good, inexpensive graphics card, so I have been looking at these two:

and this one:

People have told me that EVGA is a good brand, so should I get that one over the MSI one because it is better and they are the same price? Or does it really matter that much?

This will be my first graphics card purchase, so I'm kind of new to all of this.

Any input would be very much appreciated. :) 

June 18, 2010 10:14:49 AM

If I recall correctly, the only difference between those 2 is the cooling. And the cooling wont be ur problem if ur not planning to overclock them. So there is really no difference. I trust more in EVGA then MSI tho :=)
June 18, 2010 12:58:56 PM

Yea if Im buying nvidia I got with evga, use to rock xfx but gone off them due to mobo issues which I know is nothing to do with gpus but put me off the whole brand. For the most part there is no real difference, some reportedly offer varying degrees of customer support so that might be a consideration. Also some offer non reference coolers which is usually my biggest factor on what mfg to go with these days.

My very general rule of thumb is:
Nvidia = evga
ATI = Saphire
or if they are doing a particularly cool card from either = ASUS
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 5:06:18 PM

From 2 options above, i would choose the 1st (EVGA) one, because it blows the hot air out of the case, it will help cooling the temps down inside your case...

the second card is great, it has 2 big fans to cooling down the card memory, but it blows the hot air inside the case, so your case is hotter than if you use the 1st option...

well, that's just me.... :) 
June 21, 2010 2:05:27 AM

Thanks all for your input.
I ended up buying the EVGA card, since it seems to be the most respected here. Now I'll just have to see how it works!
June 22, 2010 9:01:36 AM

Good choice! Hope it'l satisfy you
June 24, 2010 4:54:24 AM

It did.
!