4.00GB (3.25GB Usable)

Hi guys,

I've tried to search for the answer to this for hours but there seem to be so many different answers so please do help if you can.

I have an Asus motherboard running Windows 7 32-bit with 4GB of RAM installed. Windows and the Bios both recognise the 4GB but the OS has 768MB as hardware reserved.

I have disabled the integrated graphics controller in the Bios and have a 4800 Ati HD series card installed. This card has 512mb of memory.

I have also checked msconfig for maximum memory boot settings and this is disabled (as default).

I've also checked memory hole mapping in my BIOS and have both enabled and disabled it both with the 3.25GB remaining as the usable space.

I want my nearly gig of memory back! :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about 00gb 25gb usable
  1. A 32bit operating system can only address 4 gig of ram total.

This includes the video card memory,hard drive cache ,system components and cpu L1,L2 and L3 cache.

The only way to use all 4 gigs of memory is to upgrade to a 64 bit OS.
  2. Thanks for the reply Rick.

I'm aware of the limitations of the 32 bit, but 768MB seems very high for the reasons that you have listed.

My HDD = 64MB Cache, Processor is a Phenom II x4 965 BE so has an 8MB cache, Intergrated graphics are disabled and thats about it for memory hogging hardware?

Unless you mean to say that my grahpics cards onboard 512mb of RAM is also included in this allowance?
  3. Yes ALL memory is in this limit. Video card, nic, harddrive,modem, CPU ,serial ports,printer port, etc...
    All devices use a small amount of memory,plus your video card has 512mb on it .It is also included in this 4gig maximum of address space.
  4. CPU cache is not included in the 4 GB address space. While a video card requires a fairly sizable chunk of address space, it is not true that the video card memory takes up any.

One of my systems has a 1 GB 4870. Under WinXP-32, I have 3.25 GB of RAM available. If video RAM occupied CPU address space, I would have less than 3 GB available.
  5. Quote:
    One of my systems has a 1 GB 4870. Under WinXP-32, I have 3.25 GB of RAM available. If video RAM occupied CPU address space, I would have less than 3 GB available.

That's also my understanding.

Does anyone else have any ideas please? :(
  6. God damn..... Just found this very helpful article and it looks like I need 64 bit soon! :(
  7. ---> msconfig ----> boot ----> advanced options -----> uncheck memory
  8. To recap. A 32-bit OS can only directly address 3.25GB of memory....period. To access more than that requires a 64-bit OS.

The issue of system resources and the 32-bit OS/3.25GB limitation are related but different issues.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory