Memory probs after BIOS update

simpsp31

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hi,

Im having problems with my memory slots after a failed BIOS update. I initially tried to update my BIOS on a BIOSTAR TP45D2-A7 ver6 motherboard. When i rebooted it was giving me an overclock error and then when trying to boot windows was cblue screening.

I went into the emergency BIOS repair utility on the board and reloaded a newer BIOS succesfully. Following this I was able to boot to windows although intermittent BSOD have continued.

I have 4 RAM slots with 2 modules of Corsair DDR2 2GB (CM2X2048-6400C4DHX). I used memtest to test the RAM and am getting some very strange results.

Slot 1 gives memory errors with either RAM module installed
Slot 2 gives no memory errors with either module installed
Slot 3 gives no memory errors with either module installed
Slot4 gives no memory errors with either module installed

However when i put both memory modules in slot 2 and 4 i immediatly get memory errors.

Can anyone help me with this, could a bad flash have caused my memory slots to go bad ?

Thanks PAul.

simpsp31

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Thanks,

I couldnt find a setting in the BIOS to set exact voltage, (mem module has 2.1V written on side) but there was a setting to increase Memory Voltage by various increments the maximum was +.70 so i have done this, it seems to have worked as memtest has just completed its first pass with no errors, will run several more passes and update.

Also i notice in memtest the settings for the RAM are as follows: 398MHZ(DDR797) / CAS : 5-5-5-15 / Dual Channel

However on the side of the module settings are stated as 2.1V and 4-4-4-12 should i try and change these settings as well ?

Thanks Paul.