Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7Cubed a Mitx WC build

Last response: in Components
Share
September 28, 2010 1:26:06 AM

Hi everyone,


I recently got out of the planning stages and onto building and hardware.

First a brief rundown of my idea,

A perfect (well kinda, you'll see) 7" cube the houses a mini itx motherboard, all the standards and is water cooled. The material is 1/8" steel welded together.

Inspirations for this case are: Oliverw92 (and more specifically his MINIME case), Janik M. aka Xien16 and http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/sys...-janik/037.htm, and many others.

if you want to see about in some more detail the design challenges that faced this project see
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=194611

CURRENT STATE

[
Hardware
Core i3 530
H55N-usb3 motherboard
Nvidia 8400gs (until something better comes out)
Corsair 4gb ddr3 dominator at 1600mhz
Lite on slot load dvd burner

For some visuals


Sides which will be CNC plasma cam cut
Right

Holes are for cords and tubes that will run outside of case because of the 1/20" space between the sides and the motherboard.
Don't worry they will look purty

Top

with grill and 120mm or koolance 140mm
back will also be cut But I don't have a picture sorry.


Okay enough with the conceptual time for some hardware


the base

an h55n


I think it's funny how they have a whole page warning you that integrated graphics will only work with the i3's and certain i5's


The PSU it's so cute. It's also an FSP270 flex atx


A lite on slod load dvd writer, I must thank asura for this idea


Slim sata adapter


Installed with corsair dominator memory


and an i3 530 to top it all of, IT"S MY FIRST INTEL CPU AND IT"S SO SMALL:rock:


Checking to make sure everything's in order


Yep, thats as far as I can go since I don't have a 2.5" hardrive until I can transfer data off my portable one.


a pizza box mokup of the case

Okay for some real hardware

Got at my local ACE hardware, they have an amazing selection of bolts and screws for being little and in the middle of nowhere.
From left to right they are 6-32 1/4" brass standoffs (i actually had these, and if anyone knows where I can find some non shiny or gold ones, where I don't have to order 100 please let me know) 6-32 3/8" hex head bolt, m3 button head hex bolt, m4 hex head bolt (15mm) and m4 hex head bolt (40mm).

Thanks for looking I'll have pics of the beginning stages up by tomorrow.

More about : 7cubed mitx build

a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2010 3:24:53 AM

Its looking good so far.
But why are you water cooling? Thats usually for overclocking & gaming yet you are not leaving yourself any room for a GPU cooling solution in your current case design.
m
0
l
September 28, 2010 4:03:54 AM

popatim said:
Its looking good so far.
But why are you water cooling? Thats usually for overclocking & gaming yet you are not leaving yourself any room for a GPU cooling solution in your current case design.


You see that little slit above the I/O shield port, thats for a low profile GPU. As you may know on a mini-itx platform the pcie-16x slot is right on the edge of the motherboard causing the GPU to overhang the motherboard. Since I'm trying to keep the actual box itself under 7", this can't happen.

Solution is a flexi-pcie riser to move the gpu in, and since it its the I/o ports above them. As it needs to be a short gpu to fit the size constraints, the best that fits the bill right now is a gt240, but I can even fit A double slot low profile gpu if I cut the hole bigger and it's short enough. Hoping for something better once some newer fermi's come out or maybe even a 6000 series?

Right now I have a 8400gs that probably compares to the IGP, but I will use it for size fitting.

The point of watercooling, (because your'e right this could easily be done on air)
is one- to do it
two-vanity it looks cool, especially the tubes poping out
three-possibly cool the GPU also
four-achieve as high as OC as possible because we can!

Thanks for your support
m
0
l
Related resources
October 17, 2010 3:32:33 AM

Sorry it's been awhile, I've been really busy, but I have got some stuff done.

I filled and drilled out the cord holes, and I practiced cutting the sata connectors to fit.

I also received a pci-e extender and a 4 pin extender, courtesy of ebay




This needs some work, as it sticks out too far, and it doesn't fit in the dimensions. Sanding will take care of that.

I also cut out and tapped tabs that will be welded to the sides, and where the standoffs will get screwed in.



The front left standoff will get screwed into a post (because the left and front are doors) that is attached to the bottom, unfortunately tapping a hole in .25 steel square rod is difficult, as these two taps can attest too, it has yet to be conquered.



On another note I got the new back cut out and the left (one with the grill) and the front cut out, the left and front still haven't been finished.



these will be welded together separately and will open off of hinges on the back:) 
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 4:39:56 AM

Wow! You're custom project made me all fired up to build that glass case concept I've been thinking about. :D 
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 4:43:38 AM

damasvara said:
Wow! You're custom project made me all fired up to build that glass case concept I've been thinking about. :D 


glad I could help and I'm glad that you liked it.

A glass case could be really cool, maybe different colors, or a glass PSU
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2010 4:44:56 AM

damasvara said:
Wow! You're custom project made me all fired up to build that glass case concept I've been thinking about. :D 



ooo glass,


Make sure to have lots of blinking LEDs in there.


:D 
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 4:55:24 AM

Randomacts said:
ooo glass,


Make sure to have lots of blinking LEDs in there.


:D 

Now, you're spoiling the fun here. I was gonna keep it as a surprise. :na: 

I've seen acrylics cases for display at exhibitions, but the aesthetics were, well, ugly by my standards. Maybe it's never meant to be pretty from the first place. My concept includes sleek design, transparent fans with bling-bling (LEDs), and as you spoiled :lol:  , lots of LEDs. It will look stunning... :sol: 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2010 5:39:34 AM

damasvara said:
Now, you're spoiling the fun here. I was gonna keep it as a surprise. :na: 

I've seen acrylics cases for display at exhibitions, but the aesthetics were, well, ugly by my standards. Maybe it's never meant to be pretty from the first place. My concept includes sleek design, transparent fans with bling-bling (LEDs), and as you spoiled :lol:  , lots of LEDs. It will look stunning... :sol: 



Yup,

I would be split between that,

A wooden computer,


and a fish tank computer *in mineral oil or something like that.*


The fish tank one could prob not be used as a gaming one tho haha

If I had $3000/ time to spend on making a custom computer.


m
0
l
October 17, 2010 11:02:31 AM

$3000? You can buy a small house with that in my country's sub-urban area with that! :lol: 

Well, I estimated my concept PC case alone will only cost me <$100, since it's only glass. The main problem would be finding the person to modify the glass cut. I don't know what they're called though, a glass man? :lol:  maybe the guys at the local furniture shop can give me some hints, for they're making mirrors and glass for cabinets.

That fish tank case is quite something. I thought the whole components are drown in liquid. But after a closer look, the water effect only appears because of that pack of water being supplied by air from the bottom, thus creating tiny bubbles. Elusive!.. :o 
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
October 17, 2010 11:29:16 AM

tkgclimb said:
Sorry it's been awhile, I've been really busy, but I have got some stuff done.

Give any more thought to the pump ?
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
October 17, 2010 11:33:54 AM

damasvara said:

I thought the whole components are drown in liquid. But after a closer look, the water effect only appears because of that pack of water being supplied by air from the bottom, thus creating tiny bubbles. Elusive!.. :o 

They are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2010 6:57:05 PM

damasvara said:
For real? That's just sick! (in a positive way of course :p  )

Its mineral oil, now you still have a problem with over heating so you need a radiator of some sort.


damasvara said:
$3000? You can buy a small house with that in my country's sub-urban area with that! :lol: 

Well, I estimated my concept PC case alone will only cost me <$100, since it's only glass. The main problem would be finding the person to modify the glass cut. I don't know what they're called though, a glass man? :lol:  maybe the guys at the local furniture shop can give me some hints, for they're making mirrors and glass for cabinets.

That fish tank case is quite something. I thought the whole components are drown in liquid. But after a closer look, the water effect only appears because of that pack of water being supplied by air from the bottom, thus creating tiny bubbles. Elusive!.. :o 


The cheapest houses where I live are $300,000 and those are dumps. :o 

But the case itself would only cost $100-200 but it would cost around $2000 if you wanted to put the latest stuff in it.
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 11:50:10 PM

delluser1 said:
Give any more thought to the pump ?


Yeah, I think I'm going to get an mp35x housing and put a (hopefully used and cheap) mpc350 in it, I can't afford a new mp35x
m
0
l
November 24, 2010 2:52:19 AM

Hi,

I Got all the tabs welded on in the right place as well as the coluom, After i got it tapped. ( I cheated and went up a drill bit size to make it easier, not as tight as fit but a lot easier and works for my purposes).

Here's some pictures






Pretty tig welds


Everything installed


I've got one hole for the psu drilled out, more to come

So long
m
0
l
December 1, 2010 10:16:07 PM

Got some stuff today in the mail,

Some perforated mesh for the grill on the side and the I/O shield.

they are 1/16" holes, and Though I wish they were a little closer together it will work.

The hinge for the door, this is a stainless steel, aircraft piano hinge. I only need about 4 inches but it comes in sections of 3ft so I have a good amount extra.



It will get rivited on (i'm sorry not welded :cry:  )
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 2:04:32 AM

nice job!

maybe invest in a better psu?
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 2:39:01 AM

^ like which, psu, it has be a m-itx psu (or similar size)
m
0
l
!