Configuring my DGL-4500 for vonage

Bdee1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2004
I have a Dlink DGL-4500 router and I am trying to determine the best way to set it up to give priority to vonage phone calls.

Currently I have the vonage V-portal and i have it set up like this...
Roadrunner modem goes into a 4 port gigabit switch.

port 1 of the gigabit switch feeds the vonage v-portal/

port 2 of the gigabit switch feeds the DGL-4500 which feeds my home network.

the problem with this setup is that since my DGL-4500 is unaware of the "upstream" v-portal, whenever i am doing something bandwidth intensive like download torrents or something, my vonage call quality suffers greatly.

So I am thinking if i run the roadrunner modem directly into the DGL-4500 (removing the 4 port gigabit switch), and then plug the v-portal into one of the ports on the DGL 4500 so its "downstream", then I can use the DGL-4500 to give top priority to my vonage calls so that the call quality doesn't suffer when i am downloading torrents or using other bandwidth intensive apps on my home networks.

so with that said, if i set it up this way, will the DGL-4500 automatically prioritize the vonage calls or do i need to change the config to make this happen? if i need to change the config, how do I go about that? what settings do I need to change?

I appreciate any help you could provide.

sturm

Splendid
if that were the case, then wouldn't i not be having issues with my current setup where the V-Portal and the DGL are fed from the gigabit switch?

No. there is no way for either the v-portal or the DGL to prioritize traffic when they both come off the switch. Any QoS settings would have to be done on the switch config.
By running it from the modem -> V-Portal -> DGL all network traffic must pass through the v-portal. The v-portal should handle QoS during calls. The DGL doesn't need any configuration at all.