Sign in with
Your question

3d Graphics Crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2010 6:18:04 PM

Hello,

I have had these problems for a while so I am going to try asking here.
I crash (total system lockup) in Warhammer Online and recently in APB, usually after 20-50 minutes. I can start the software and step away from it, it will eventually crash with no user input.

I never crash otherwise.

Both applications are 3D-enhanced MMO games. I don't play other 3D games. At high settings the framerate is fluid but will lock up more often.

The last two nvidia cards I used were an Asus GeForce 9600 GSO and now an EVGA GTS 250. Both have the same behavior in the same games.

I have 'downclocked' these cards as much as possible, to avoid crashing, as suggested on sites. But it doesn't help. It seems the only thing that helps is lowering resolution to the point where I am looking at a game that is over ten years old (completely unacceptable) instead of much nicer at a normal resolution.

For OS I used Windows XP Pro x64 with latest drivers. Now I am using Windows 7 Pro x64 with latest drivers. The same problem happens on both.

The temperatures are stable and there are enough holes and fans in the case in an AC'd room to not worry about it.

My next step is to give up on Nvidia and try ATI. If ATI also has these system lock ups, I would then try a different motherboard, cpu, ram, etc.

If anyone has suggestions that would be great. I really want to be able to play these two games without crashing, so I am willing to do whatever is needed, but I'd like to avoid lengthy trials and returning of hardware.

Gear:

Asus GeForce 9600 GSO
and/or
EVGA GTS 250

Mainboard Asus P5Q
Memory: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Power: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
HDD: ICH10R RAID0 SATA drives 2x150MB

More about : graphics crashing

June 18, 2010 6:35:23 PM

try MSI 5770 HAWK its a pretty good DX 11 compatible, budget card !
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2010 6:41:00 PM

Do other games crash? What are your CPU temps?
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2010 7:15:30 PM

lordrdx666 said:
try MSI 5770 HAWK its a pretty good DX 11 compatible, budget card !

Have you ad similar problems that were resolved by this MSI card. Thanks for the response.
m
l
June 18, 2010 8:00:17 PM

jryan388 said:
Do other games crash? What are your CPU temps?

Regarding the temps, I had RivaTuner while in XP write a log of all GPU and CPU temps during a couple of crashing instances. Unfortunately I can't find the log now, but I remember being surprised/stumped because the temps were all normal and did not show a rise before the crashing.

If there is a tool that can help get more logs of usual suspects in this scenario, in order to know where the problem is, I would be happy to install it since I can replicate the crashes all-too-easily.

With these crashes so far it's a big mystery to me. The RAM is pretty close together, maybe that is overheating. But again, I only crash during 3d games, so it's not an area I've been focusing on.

I use other applications that are not 3D and that take up a lot of constant processing and high RAM. The computer is very stable.
m
l
June 19, 2010 2:14:09 AM

I solved this. Actually EVGA did. Nice thing to have switched to a manufacturer with a high level of support. So it was mainboard memory issues. I don't care if it makes sense or not, I'm just glad that I can play a 3d game without crashing finally.
m
l
June 19, 2010 8:57:48 AM

The model describes the process of forming the shape of an object. The two most common sources of 3D models are those originated on the computer by an artist or engineer using some kind of 3D modeling tool, and those scanned into a computer from real world objects.
m
l
!