rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I recently started contemplating a new build, but my budget won't get me what I really want performance wise. So now I just want to upgrade my current build to try to get another year or so out of it.

The old build was:

E6300 (Allendale)
Gigabyte 965P DS3 (rev 1.3)
2 GB of OCZ DDR2-800
Antec Earthwatss 380 PSU (came with case)
Asus 5670 Videocard (recently upgraded)

I guess that's all the main components. I've been trying to research upgrade options for my processor. i recently bought the videocard to hold me off until the new build, but I think my processor is holding me back now. I game on my lcd tv now so the resolution is only 1280*720. Trying to research processor upgrades is kind of confusing for me as there seems to be a new/different E6300 that I must've missed in my absence from the computer world.

Main question: what would be a decent processor upgrade that would work with my current setup? I plan on adding another gig or 2 of ram possibly wince memory is cheap. I'm trying to avoid getting a new mobo, psu, etc (hence the video card i chose). This PC will be handed down to someone once I do the new build.

Thanks for any input.

edit: the processor doesn't overclock like it used too so that's not an option. not sure what's holding me back but after years of overclocking now the overclock will not hold after a reboot (and yes i've researched and tried all suggestions involving that).

G

Your graphics card is holding you back a lot more than your processor, I'm afraid. I would suggest adding in 2 more gigs of RAM as that will be holding you back a little in games at the moment. Honestly though, your graphics card is definitely what is holding you back. I don't know what kind of budget you're looking at but I'd suggest going with a 5770 or, if you've got a bit more to spend, a GTX 460, the 768MB model will suffice at that resolution.

rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

I looked into the 5770 and wanted to get at least the 5750, but that would mean a new power supply as well. So after research the 5670 didn't look too bad for gaming at low resolutions. Some games like COD:MW2 run great. I was playing Blur and that game bogged down alot and I assumed it was the processor because from the time the game started till I closed it the processor was working at 100%.