Sign in with
Your question

Just upgraded to an SSD from HDD, how to migrate data?

Last response: in Storage
October 9, 2012 10:14:05 AM

Hello there

I recently upgraded to an 120gb SSD from intel to use as an OS boot drive. I have reinstalled windows 7 on it instead of directly copying the existing OS on the HDD.

I would like to know if there is a way for the new copy of the OS to use my old user account which is still present on the HDD without copying the entire account onto the SSD (which definitely won't fit)? I would like to save the hassle of re-installing all the programs and configuring the user settings all over again.

Thanks
a b G Storage
October 9, 2012 10:34:19 AM

None....
You ought to have used the Windows Migration Tool with the Old OS and then the New install....
Now it's going to be just for you to browse and use, not default set of required params.
m
l
October 9, 2012 10:44:20 AM

Well, I can boot up with my old windows 7 and then reformat my ssd so I can use the migration tool THEN new install on SSD.

If this is the best option then I can try it...
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 9, 2012 10:45:56 AM

Yes, that you can do and will save you quite a bit of time, although other software and setting will be additionally required to be Installed a fresh again. Windows Migration Tool is going to help you out with the MS software only.
m
l
October 9, 2012 10:55:56 AM

Oh well, if the tool is only going to apply to MS software, then I guess there is no point.

I think I'll just manually install all the old programs again and copy over my other date.

Also. would it be safe to delete the old OS off the HDD now that the SDD has it?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 9, 2012 11:21:31 AM

Yup, just make sure the boot record is on the SSD
Remove the HDD and try to boot into windows
If it does, you'll know it's safe to delete/format the HDD.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 10, 2012 2:13:00 PM

You can clone or old HDD to the SSD, if it fits on the SSD. Clonezilla or True Image can used for it.
This makes it possible to use the system like the old, with all bugs.
Most settings are in c:\uses\*YOU*\APPDATA a hidden systemfolder. Many settings can just be copied from source to target.
m
l
!